Chapter 37: bs

stephanie
I sit cris crossed on my bed, and pull up FaceTime on my phone. I tap on Matts name, and smile. I miss him. So. So much. He picks up after about 10 seconds.
"Babbbby!" He says into the phone.
"Hey!" I say to him.
"How are her?" He says to me.
"Ha ha. What?" I laugh a little.
"Babbby siittt dowwn." He slurs.
"Are you drunk? Again?" I sigh, and crash my head on my pillow.
"Nooo babbby chill."
"Who are you with?" I ask him.
"Chilll I'm wiith Chloooeee." Chloe? Chloe Wilson?
"Why are you with Chloe?" I ask him, kind of mad. I know he's drunk, but it hurts me.
"She wanttteed to come overr." He slurs again. I look at his face, and he looks so...innocent. Like nothing is going on. What is he on?
"Have you been taking something?" I ask him, pulling out a duffle bag from my closet.
"Ohhh yeeahh i havvve." He says. I feel my heart stop beating.
"M-Matt?"
"What babbe?"
"What happened to you?" I ask him. He looks straight into my eyes. His eyes look tired, and he has dark circles.
"Matt, babe. Let's go to your room." Chloe whines at him. He looks at her and I just get a view of his jaw. The jaw I once gave kisses to. He looks back at me and frowns. He looks so sad.
"I-I have to go." He sighs.
"Matt wait!" But it's to late. He hangs up on me.
"He hung up on me..." I whisper to myself. I hear a knock on my bedroom door, and grunt.
"What!" I snap. The door opens, and Jack walks in. He gives me a smiles and then closes the door. He sits next to me on the floor, staring at the duffle bag.
"Where are you going?" He asks me. I cover my face with my hands, and a tear rolls down my cheek.
"He's been taking drugs, Jack." I tell him, looking at his face. Tears start to drip down my cheek.
"No.." Jack whispers.
"Yes Jack. He was high and drunk. And..." I stop. I feel like someone is strangling me, and it's preventing words to come out of my mouth.
"He was with a girl." I choke out.
"Maybe she's a friend." Jack says.
"Bullshit." I say, and I stand up. He stands up as we'll.
"You don't know the full story steph-"
"Bullshit! He doesn't love me!" I cry. Jack holds me tight and strokes my hair.
"It's going to be okay." He tells me.
And that's what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear that everything will be fine, and that Matt will stop the drugs. But I knew nothing could happen if I wasn't there to help him through whatever he's going through.
"I have to see him." I say into his chest.
"I'll go with you." He tells me. I shake my head.
"No. I need to do this alone." I wipe my eye and Jack nods. I walk to my desk and shake the mouse, so the screen wakes up. I go to the American Airlines website, and find the next flight to California.
"Tonight..." I mumble.
"What? What's tonight?" He asks me. I gulp.
"That's the flight." And I walk to my closet. I toss in some clothes, and he touches my shoulder.
"You...you can't just leave us." He tells me.
"I'm coming back." I tell him. He looks me straight in the eyes and sits on the bed.
"My sister...I never got to say goodbye." And I sit down next to him.
"Jack..." I start.
"She died. She fucking died in the hospital bed and I was there and I couldn't do anything to help her. The monitor stopped. THE FUCKING MONITOR STOPPED AND SHE WAS GONE! SHE WAS GONE AND NOW SHES NOT HERE!" He yells. Tears roll down his cheeks.
"She's fucking gone." His voice cracks.
"And I couldn't help her." He chokes out.
"I'm coming back. I won't leave without saying goodbye. I'll be back in 3 days, Jack. It's just three days. I'm not leaving you." And I kiss his cheek. Just a friendly kiss on the cheek. His face is wet, and his eyes are a little red from crying.
"I'm sorry for yelling." I tell him.
"It's okay." And I rub his back.
Jack Gilinsky.
What a sweet heart.