Chapter 6: seconds

matthew
Me and Stephanie walk out of school to only see that it's raining.
"Fuck." She mumbles. I smile.
"Matthew I'm sorry but can I take my car?" I sigh.
"Yeah sure." She smiles and gives me a hug.
"I'll see you later!" She says. I wave and start walking home.
"Boy with the hoodie!" I turn around to see Cole and Ryan standing only a couple inched behind me. I run. I run as fast as I can. There are only seconds before they trip me, I scrape my knee on the pavement, and they beat me up.
5
4
3
2
Cole pushes me down on the pavement which scrapes my knee. Ryan punches me in the face.
"What the hell." I touch my face, blood on my fingers. I see Cole and Ryan running off laughing. With only a little strength left in me, I grab my phone and call Stephanie.
"Hey." I cough. I try to stand up but I fall back down.
"Matt where the hell are you?" I cough again.
"Sidewalk, pavement, Cole..." I drop the phone. All I hear is Stephanie yelling hello.
It all goes black from there.
stephanie
"What the fucking hell!" I scream. I pull my car up to the sidewalk and crouch next to Matt. His lip and eye are bleeding and there's a hole through the knee of his sweatpants.
"Matt what the hell happened to you?" His eyes slowly open and he smiles weakly.
"Take me to your house.." He mumbles. I nod and pull him up, with him limping to the car. He sits in the car and winces in pain.
"Don't worry Matt. It'll be okay. I promise." He nods slowly. We get to my house and thank god my moms not home. I pull Matthew out of the car and he limps up the stairs. I lay him on my bed and turn on the tv. I run into the bathroom to grab a bandage and Vaseline. I rub the Vaseline on the cuts and he winces.
"Shh Matt. This will make it better." He smiles. His eyes have never had a twinkle in them. Where did that sparkle once go?
"There." I say.
"Thank you." He smiles. I smile back and kiss his forehead. I start to head out but Matt grabs my wrist.
"Stay." He says. I lay next to him.
"Forever." I whisper to him. He grabs my hand and squeezes it.
"I love you." He mumbles, falling asleep.
"I love you too." I say, laying my head on his chest.
matthew
I wake up to Stephanie's head on my chest. What happened to me? Why am I covered in cuts and scrapes. Oh yeah. Cole and Ryan.
"Steph, Steph?" I whisper to her. She slowly wakes up and looks at me.
"Hi." She mumbles.
"Feeling better?" She asks.
"Yeah, thank you." She smiles and rubs her thumb over my knee.
"Do you love me?" She asks.
"Yes." I tell her.
"Will you ever leave me?"
"No." I tell her.