Chapter 26: you cant let her go

matthew
We walk along the sidewalk, her and I. I hold her hand as she try's to balance on the ledge. She laughs to herself as she stumbles off of it, bit continues to step back onto it.
"Your so cute." I smile at her. She looks at me and smiles back.
"I swear that smile is worth one million dollars." I smile, and put my hands in my pockets, staring at her. Her cheeks go pink and I can't help but laugh a little. She smiles and continues to walk on the ledge, and I hold her hand again. Were halfway down the street when a police car comes racing down the street, it's sirens on and everything. We stop and look at the car, mesmerized by the flashing red and blue lights. They pull up to us and the cop quickly gets out of the car. He looks over Stephanie and then nods.
"Are you by any chance related to Cindy Brooks?" Stephanie's eyes go wide, and she slowly nods.
"She's been looking for you the whole night. I'll take you back to her house." He smirks. Her expression goes blank and she shakes her head.
"No sir, please. She wants me to move to California with her. I can't...I can't leave my life here." She says. The cop nods again.
"I understand, but it's kind of a big deal to run away. I'm going to have to take you back to your house, so you can have a legal guardian watch you." She sighs and nods.
"I understand." She mumbles. He looks towards me and smirks.
"You must be her boyfriend!" He says sarcastically.
"Yes sir." I say proudly. He smiles and looks at his shoes. Stephanie gets in the back seat of the police car and closes the door.
"You really love her?" He asks.
"Yes sir." I say again. He smiles and places his hand on my shoulder.
"If i were you kid.."
"Matt." I cut him off.
"If I were you, Matt..." He chuckles.
"I would find a way to make her stay. Anything it takes. Make it happen. Looks like she really needs you there by her side." My lips curve into a smile and I look down at my sneakers.
"Get in." He says, and points to the car. I slide into the seat next to Stephanie and she looks worried. I rest my hand on top of hers, as the cop drives to her house. We get out of the car, but the cop stops me before I get out.
"Hey. Don't let her go." He says smiling. I smile and nod, catching up to Stephanie at the door. She rings the bell and her Aunt opens it immediately. She smiles and hugs Stephanie.
"I was so worried about you!" She says, kissing her forehead.
"Mhmm." Stephanie says. Her aunt pulls away, and we walk inside. Her aunt walks off towards the kitchen, as Stephanie and I stare at the place.
"It's....it's gone." She says, tearing up.
"Babe...it's...it's going to be okay." I say, engulfing her in a hug. I rub her back and look at the empty place surrounding us. No couch, no tv, no carpet. No nothing. I stare at the ground while hugging her, as she cry's into my chest. I replay what I said over in my head, about how everything was going to be okay.
But I guess I lied.
I didn't actually know if everything was going to be okay. I had no clue. Things were probably going to be bad, matter of fact. Did I just lie to her?
"I'm leaving." She whispers. I kiss her wet cheek, and she wipes a tear from her eye.
"You...you know what? I'll take you on a really fancy dinner. Tonight. Okay?" I say, kneeling so I'm looking up at her. She smiles a bit and nods. She wipes another year and laughs a bit.
"I don't really have a fancy dress, Matt." She says.
"I'm sure you'll like great in anything you wear. You always do." I smile, kissing her cheek one last time.
"Okay. I'll go get ready." She smiles and runs up the stairs. I look at her run into her room and close the door. I laugh a little, thinking about how ill miss her over exited ness all the time. I replay what the cop said in my head.
"You can't let her go."
You can't let her go, Matt.