35. have fun

Dixie.

I said yes to prom. And to a lot of other things by her side.

Laura and (Y/N) had decided to stay, but that meant that there was a lot of work ahead of us. On the following weeks, I kept working on my college application and on helping (Y/N) with all the paperwork. She needed a job to stay, so I got her one so quickly that I even felt proud of myself. Coach Stevens had accepted to hire her as an instructor at the school, and that even gave her a chance to try out for some big teams. I knew that eventually she'd make it inside a huge soccer team, she already had people looking into her from the games we played at school.

We were still working on getting Laura a scholarship, but things looked rather good. (Y/N) still had her apartment until the end of the year, but we were already looking for other places. But even with all the good things, it was still uncertain if they'd get so stay, so I decided to enjoy each day by (Y/N)'s side and ignore the fear of having to watch her leave one day. Sometimes it worked.

It was finally the day of the prom, I was still home, putting on makeup and adjusting my dress every 5 minutes. I wondered if she'd like it.

"Are you really not coming?" I asked Charli as I looked into the mirror. I'd normally worry about her not wanting to come to a party, but she looked happy ever since she decided to give herself time, and I knew that something inside my sister was changing.

"Yeah, I think I'll just watch a movie and meditate." She responded, I smiled in response.

As I brushed my hair, I heard my phone ring.

"Will you put it on speaker for me?" I asked Charli. She nodded and picked up.

"Hello?" I spoke up.

"Hey, are you almost ready?" (Y/N)'s voice greeted me.

"I am, what about you?" I responded.

"Yes, but Laura's been taking this whole exchange situation a bit harshly. I think she misses her friends or something, I'm not really good at giving advice." The girl told me, I sighed and paused for a moment before replying.

"Well, can you blame her? Is she with you?" I said.

"She's in the shower. I don't know Dix, she just looks depressed, I have no idea what to do anymore, and I thought maybe you would." She explained.

"She could come over and meditate with me." Charli spoke out, surprising me.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, it's not like I'll be too busy. I'll cheer her up." My sister said.

"Sounds good to me." I shrugged.

"Yeah, that's great, we'll be there in 10 minutes. Thank you so much, Charli!" (Y/N)'s voice sounded lighter before she hung up.

"She sounds stressed." Charli commented, I sighed in response.

"She's got a lot on her plate, I hope I can cheer her up tonight." I said back.

"Oh, I bet you will." My sister grinned and slapped my butt, making me laugh and roll my eyes.

"Thank you for inviting her sister over, by the way." I changed the subject.

"It's ok, I could use the company. Is she nice?" Charli asked.

"She's really cool, you'll see." I responded, going back to focus on my makeup.

After a couple minutes, the doorbell rang. I sighed and looked at myself one more time, I had no idea what was it with proms, but I was nervous about (Y/N) seeing me, even though she'd seen me sweaty and smelly.