14. Around her

Please comment things about the story!! I love to know your thoughts about the characters and the storyline xx

---------

Claudia.

When I got to school in the morning, I was curious to know if Madison had discovered something about (Y/N) when they went to her place. I really didn't see the "secret" Madison was talking about. But she was mostly right about those sorts of things, so I had to admit that I was interested.

"Hey, how was yesterday? Did I lose the bet?" I asked when I approached her.

"There's no secret. I lost." She responded dryly, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" I questioned

"I was wrong." My best friend shrugged. She looked bothered by the subject, and I didn't understand why.

"What happened yesterday?" I asked.

"Nothing happened, Claudia, I just don't want to search for a stupid nonexistent secret!" The brunette complained. I raised my eyebrows.

"Ok, no need to be mad about it." I mumbled.

"I'm not mad." She said and walked away. I blinked a couple times, startled by the way she was acting.

Madison never quit like that. She loved to have control over things and was mostly good at that, specially when she set her mind on something. At that point, I didn't even want to make her do her part of the bet, I just wanted to know what was going on.

Charli.

"DIXIE STOP WEARING MY SOCKS!!" I yelled as I left the bathroom and saw my big sister wearing my favorite pair of socks.

"Too late!" Dixie winked and ran to her room. I groaned and rolled my eyes. She was such a baby sometimes.

"Who are you texting?" I smirked while I entered her room, finding her on her phone.

"Go get dressed! We're late." She groaned. I giggled and laid by her side, looking at the phone screen.

"Are you texting your girlfriend (Y/N)?" I asked.

"You're so annoying! She's not my girlfriend." Dixie chuckled.

"So you are talking to her!" I grabbed her phone and ran away.

"CHARLI!!!" My sister yelled angrily, running after me.

I stopped running when I saw the name "Ashley" on the screen.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow.

"That's none of your business." She hissed, taking the phone away from me.

"Dixie...." I started.

"Look, just go get dressed Char. I'm fine, I promise." She interrupted. I sighed and went to my room.

I had no words for how much I despised Ashley. She made Dixie go through too much pain, and not once was she sorry about it. My sister's ex girlfriend seemed to enjoy the hurt she caused, and I just hated her for it. But Dixie loved her, I had no clue if she was still in love with Ashley, but they were together for a long time, and memories are hard to let go. Either way, Ashley sucked.

Dixie and I were late to school, but it wasn't a problem to me, that meant I could avoid Chase for longer. Since he asked me to move away with him after he graduated, we'd been on a constant fight about it. How could I drop everything to go after someone else's dreams? Even though it was someone I truly loved, I couldn't make a decision like that as quickly as my boyfriend wanted me to. He'd been constantly asking me if I'd thought about it. It was all I thought about, but I could never get to an answer that made both of us happy, and the confusion of it was killing me.

"If Chase annoys you, I'll hurt him." My sister said as we went to our classes. She'd been saying that since I told her the situation. I smiled.

"If I see you with Ashley, I won't hurt her but I'll mentally yell at her." I replied, she smiled weakly and walked to her classroom.

My English class was at the end of the hallway. I sighed and started walking. Looking up from the ground, my eyes met (Y/N).

"Hey!" I smiled at her as we approached each other.

"Hi, Charli." She smiled back, stopping to look at me. I was invaded with the scent of her perfume at the same time as I watched her smile brightly. It wasn't hard to admit that she was attractive, and she was really nice to me. I hoped Dixie would just kiss her and make her hang out with us more.

"Are you late too?" I asked.

"Yes, but it's calculus, so I'm not going to rush." She shrugged, making me laugh.

"Well, I don't feel like running but I don't want to get yelled at." I responded, starting to walked away, even though I'd rather stand there. (Y/N) smiled and walked away from me too.

I couldn't really explain, but I liked being around her.

Dixie.

Are you coming over or not?

That was the last text Ashley had sent me. I had been to her place for 2 days straight. Even though I was the only one who knew, I felt guilty and weak. At that point, I didn't know why I kept doing that. I knew what Ashley's deal was. She didn't love me anymore, I didn't know if I still loved her, but I kept making a fool out of myself. It was almost automatic.

We didn't even talk anymore. I just came over, stayed for a couple hours and left feeling worse than when I got there. She didn't even attempt to have a conversation, didn't care how I felt or didn't make an effort to know. And when I tried, she made me regret it. Things used to be so much better, and the past drove me to my ex's place every time. The present hit me like cold water every time I left. Ashley was cold, the only time she was warm was when she was touching me.

I had no idea why I endured the ways she treated me, why I loved someone that I knew wasn't there anymore. At that point I wasn't sure if she had even been the person I saw her as before.

I buried my face in my hands and decided not to let her confuse me again. I just hoped that time it would last.