3. play her game

Charli widened her eyes, making me throw her a questioning look.

"I didn't expect you'd let me drive after last time." She explained, I giggled.

"Just watch out for trash cans..... and old ladies." I shrugged, making Charli laugh.

"No accidents this time, I promise. Thank you, Dix!!!!" She said and kissed my cheek, grabbing Chase's hand.

"Bye, guys, it was nice to meet you, (Y/N)." My sister said as she grabbed the car keys from my pocket.

"Seriously, Charli, watch out for the stop signs." I replied, she winked and walked away, making me sigh. I hope I don't regret letting her drive home alone.

"You got plans?" (Y/N) took me from my thoughts.

"Coach Stevens told me to me welcoming to you, so I'm doing it." I turned to her, (Y/N) chuckled and moved closer to me.

"What about your shower?" She asked, a smile on her face.

"Are you saying I stink, (Y/N)?" I retorted with an eyebrow raised.

"Just a bit, but we should be ok if I keep my distance." She winked and walked away from me, I widened my mouth in disbelief.

"How dare you!" I exclaimed and pulled her back, my hands on her wrist. (Y/N) smiled and pulled back to look at me.

"I was going to walk home, you can shower there if you want to." She said, looking away from me, her cheeks slightly red.

"Where do you live?" I asked, grabbing my backpack from the bleachers and walking by her side.

"It's a 5 minute walk, relax." She replied.

"Did they really give you your own apartment?" I questioned, looking at her.

"It's not much, but I like living alone, I enjoy the quiet." She shrugged.

"Must be nice. You know, the freedom. And I think this is a nice opportunity for you." I commented as we walked through the school gates.

"Yeah, I don't really know what's next for me. I just got in a plane and that's pretty much it."

"Sounds like you got nothing to lose." I chuckled.

"It's been a while since I've had anything to lose, to be honest." (Y/N) shrugged, I raised an eyebrow.

"Don't you miss your family?" I asked, she took a while to reply, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"Uh.... I think I'm not a family girl, I don't know." She said in a low tone.

"I'll probably go to UCLA after I finish high school and I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of being away from my family, that's why I asked. Maybe you'd have some advice." I explained, noticing that the mood had gone a little weird.

"I didn't really think this through, to be honest. I just took the offer and left, I guess it helps if you don't think too much about it." The other girl replied, still looking away from me.

"Sounds impulsive. I like it." I said, she looked at me and smiled.

"I'm a soccer player, I need to trust my impulses." She said in a husky tone, looking into my eyes again. I smiled and bit my lip, looking back at her.

"You must be good at it." I said in the same tone, she stopped walking for a second, looked down and chuckled.

"You have no idea." She chuckled. I sighed, our conversations seemed normal, but I could feel a tension, I could feel her words being passive-aggressive. I'd missed the tension.

"So.... uhm, do you have any friends yet?" I spoke out.

"I've met a couple people and they were really nice, but I think it's too soon to tell if I have anyone to sit with at lunch, if that's what you're asking." (Y/N) replied, I chuckled.

"You can sit with me." I said.

"Thank you, Dixie!!! That's the best invitation I've ever gotten!" She said in an ironic tone, making me laugh.

"Hey, I'm just doing it because Coach Stevens told me to, don't get too excited." I replied, making her raise an eyebrows.

"Hey! I'm a lot of fun, just so you know." She retorted, crossing her arms.

"I guess you'll have to show me, because I don't buy it." I challenged.

"I can show you anytime, all the time." The girl by my side said, looking into my eyes and stopping on her heels.

"Why'd you stop?" I questioned.

"Because that's my apartment." She pointed towards the building on our left side.

"That's close." I commented, she nodded.

"So, are you taking that shower?" (Y/N) asked, I sighed.

"I think I'll just go home." I replied. I needed to hold myself, and I didn't know if I could do that being inside her place.... alone... with her.

"You sure? I'm not going to kidnap you, you're not my type." She raised an eyebrow, making me laugh.

"What's your type then?" I laughed, walking closer to her.

"Girls who don't smell like sweat." (Y/N) replied and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I can work on that." I said.

"So you wanna be my type?" She chuckled and I froze, a tension filling the ambient.

"I'll see you tomorrow, D'amelio." She broke the silence and kissed my cheek slowly, I felt her lips brush against the corner of mine and felt chills run down my arms. I knew she had planned that, it was all over her.

Walking from her house to the bus stop, I wondered what to do with all that tension. The answer seemed obvious, but every thing in my life had been a quick and obvious answer for a while. Even though I felt like I knew where that'd end up, I wanted to do things differently, I wanted to see how long that tension could last, how long I could last without doing what she obviously wanted me to do. She was teasing me and I knew that, but, for once, I wanted to tease back. I wanted to play her game. And I planned on it.