⍫1⍫

- Mentions of abuse/blood -

Taehyun's POV

I locked myself in the closet to protect myself from my parents arguing again. Sitting in the corner with knees pulled to my chest and hands covering my ears to try to stop the noises from entering into my head.

The sound of glass crashing against the walls still ringing in my ears. This was very normal for me, my parents would argue almost every day for unknown reasons. It could be as simple as waking up late to drive me to school or because one of the two came late from work.

We weren't in the best situation either. My dad's company is going bankrupt and are starting to lay people off never knowing when he would be next. My mom works in a diner that has three or four customers a day if she was lucky maybe 10, either way, it wasn't a very high-paying job, this just added to the arguments.

I was only in 6th grade, but when I got 2 questions wrong my dad would slap me till I could barely stand which got my parents into another argument, I guess that was partly my fault. Once I sick of the arguments and tried to stop but it only made it worse and even got a piece of glass thrown at me.

Bang

There was a gunshot, I opened the door to see the mess outside. There was glass shattered everywhere, scattered furniture, and the smell of gunpowder coming from the kitchen.

I headed in the direction of the smell. I saw my mom lying on the ground with a phone in her hand, dialed was 911, my dad holding a gun still pointing it towards his mother with a shocked face, finally realizing what he did. My mother's eyes still open with tears streaming from her eyes, and sprawled on the floor.

The door from the front entrance kicked open and cops came flowing in. They briefly looked at the situation and went straight into action, they ran to my father and told him to drop the gun, then he looked at me with wide eyes. He slowly pointed the gun at me, the police understanding what he was about to do next.

"This was all your fault, you made this mess, you should never have been born!", My father screamed at me. I stood there staring at him with tears slowly falling down without noticing it. Everything was ringing in my ears and the room was starting to spin, my body's heat slowly dissipating from my body.

Two gunshots, I felt a subtle pain near my neck close to the right side of my chest. I fell on the ground and felt hands picking me up, but everything was starting to lose color and eventually became black.

- 5 years Later -

There was a gunshot, I opened the door to see the mess outside. There was glass shattered everywhere, scattered furniture, and the smell of gunpowder coming from the kitchen. I headed in the direction of the smell. I saw my mom lying on the ground with a phone in her hand, dialed was 911, my dad holding a gun still pointing it towards his mother with a shocked face, finally realizing what he did. My mother's eyes still open with tears streaming from her eyes sprawled on the floor.

I woke up from the sound of two gunshots, everything felt sore and I could hear a faint beeping. I tried moving but something tugged at my arm, an IV tube connected to my arm. There was also a breathing tube in my nose. Suddenly two nurses came in running with wide eyes staring at me. The doctor came in looking like a miracle happened. I tried speaking to them,

"W-where am I, where are my M-mom and Dad, what h-happened?" I guess I was too quiet because they were still staring at me. They started whispering between themselves and eventually, the two nurses left the room. It took a few minutes but the doctor finally responded.

"Do you know what year it is?"

"Ya, 20xx, right?", I responded but all I got was a worried face from the doctor.

"No, that was 5 years ago, it's 20xx now, your parents got into a fight and had an accident and you got injured. 4 years ago an orphanage found you and decided to keep you when you wake up until you found a guardian." He said slowly so I could take all the information in.

I wasn't really surprised about my parents but I couldn't believe it's been 5 years. I was sad not because I lost my parents gone because they were awful to him, but because no one was waiting for me and I wasn't waiting for anyone either. I then nodded to show that I understood, then he continued,

"We will do a few check-ups but after you are discharged you will go to the orphanage, ok?", I nodded. They checked if I could all of my limbs, my reflexes, and did an x-ray to see if all parts of my brain were still working. Everything was pretty normal, they told me that I would be a little sore from staying in the same position for a long time. I could walk by myself but it was slow. It was pretty cold even though it was summer, I thought it was just a side effect from sleeping for a long time.

They brought me to a car to drive me to the orphanage. The orphanage was a 2 story building, with a wood staircase leading to double doors, there weren't a lot of windows, and there was a balcony with a lot of plants but they looked like they were dying so it didn't seem like a lot of people went up there. They opened the door signaling for me to get out, I got out slowly because my legs were still sore, there was a light breeze but it made me feel colder.

A lady came out who was a little chubby, she had glasses and pulled her hair into a tight bun. She had kids surrounding her of varying ages. I slowly went up the stairs because I didn't know if the woman was friendly or strict.

When I reached the top of the staircase she brought me into a hug, it wasn't really the comforting type, although he wouldn't really know what that would feel like, but more of a forceful type. She let go and said,

"Welcome Taehyun, my name is Ms. Kim, we will be your new family for a little while, I hope you will accept us, how old are you?"

"I'm 17," I replied

"Oh, we have a few 17-year-olds, I hope you all get along, we will take good care of you.", indicating the people who drove me here to leave. They started getting into the car and drove off.

"Thank you," I replied, so far I thought Ms. Kim was nice, the kids didn't really say anything they were just staring at me, it felt kind of off. She started going inside, all the kids started following her without saying a word. I also followed her but after getting inside Ms. Kim turned around slowly, she started displaying a smirk on her face, I felt chills along my spine. I was very wrong about my first impression.