Happy birthday

"What's wrong?"

"Yeah. What might it be?"

I said in a slightly teasing tone.

He looked a bit troubled by this behavior of mine, which I usually didn't do.

Of course, he had his same emotionless face. But I could feel that he was genuinely troubled by my attitude today. Yeah, I could sense it. You could say it my 'intuition'. And the fact that I could read his emotions that he masked behind that stoic face of his made me feel happy.

"Fufu."

"What?"

When I chuckled thinking that he asked and looked more troubled than before.

I usually wouldn't resort to such an attitude. But I won't back down today.

Because today was an exception.

I will force what I wanted to hear out of him.

There's no way he wouldn't know.

No, he should definitely know.

We were currently at the library.

Me and Ayanokoji-kun, despite being from different classes, are quite good friends.

We had similar tastes when it came to books. And we got along surprisingly well. 

If I had to say, he was the closest friend of mine.

And for someone, whom I thought the closet, to not know what today is about, will make me sad.

I had been trying to make him say that to me but he hadn't said anything and just kept turning the new book he had bought today back and forth. He hadn't even opened the wrapping yet.

He had shown no signs of saying what I wanted to hear the most.

I looked at his face, which seemed mature and calm.

What if he actually didn't know?

At that thought, at felt something akin to despair.

I had thought of him as my closest friend and thought that he would wish me immediately after we met. But till now he had shown no signs of doing that.

Does that mean he really doesn't know that today was my birthday?!

A feeling of intense sadness overcame me.

"Happy birthday."

"Huh?"

Huh?!

He knew it!

He stifled a sigh.

"I knew it was your birthday today.........And I also  knew you were trying to hear it from me since morning."

"You knew it! Then why?! Are you trying to make fun of me?!"

"Keep it quiet in the library!"

"S-Sorry!"

I hadn't realized that I was speaking loudly.

Now that I think about it this might be the first time I have ever lost my cool, isn't it?

I had always remained conserved and maintained a cool head in every situation.

But lately, and most importantly around Ayanokoji-kun, I had become sort of unable to control my feelings. I always said and did whatever my heart wanted whenever I was with him or whenever it was something concerning him.

I sat down in my seat.

"Why didn't you notice?"

Saying that he heaved another sigh.

"Notice? Notice what?"

I didn't know what he was talking about.

At my question, he raised the book he had been holding towards my direction.

"What?"

That was the new book he said he had bought just today. It was still wrapped in a colorful wrapp........ing pa.....per!

At that point, it all clicked into place.

He had arrived at the library today before me and he had been fiddling with that book ever since. It was new and wrapped in colorful papers basically done when giving it to someone as a present.

What he was doing, was giving me hints all this time and I wasn't able to catch on to it.

I was so engrossed in making him say those words from him that I completely ignored his hints.

I'm such an idiot!

I cursed myself.

"Here. Happy birthday, Hiyori."

Saying that he presented that book to me.

I snatched that book from his hands.

"Thank you!"

I was a bit angry at him. 

Why did he need to play around like that? He could have given it to me directly. Dummy!

"Why are you pouting now? I'm sorry."

Was I pouting?

I might have been. 

So what? It's your fault in the first place.

Of course, I was angry at him. But I was happy at the same time. 

My happiness far outweighed my anger. 

I was extremely happy. I was happy that he hadn't forgotten about my birthday. And to top it off he had even bought a gift for me. And it was a book; something I liked. 

I looked at him and chuckled internally.

Thank you so much, Ayanokoji-kun. I will treasure yo-er-I mean treasure the book you gave me!

Note:

Happy birthday, Hiyoriiiiiiiiiiiiiii-chhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!