XV

Ricin.

That's what I was watching them make, that was their brilliant plan to kill a drug lord. It sounded good but the delivery didn't, they weren't even sure of what they were going to say to Tuco once they gave it to him.

I didn't get involved. I just watched them make it, It seemed like I was an accomplice once again.

Jesse and I sat there as we listened to Walter answer a phone call from his brother-in-law.

Walter's entire demeanour changed as he showed us the picture on his phone. Both of Tuco's men were dead, that meant-

None of us spoke as the image stared back at us — taunting us.

"Walter— Walter... are you there?" The voice on the phone called out.

The 3 of us ran upstairs, Walter dug into Jesse's cabinet and took his revolver.

"I'm taking this." He said, practically running out of the kitchen.

Jesse pushed him harshly, "No, it's my gun!"

I stood behind Jesse, panicking swirling in my chest, "You don't even know how to use the damn gun!" I stated, pointing at it. 

"I need it!" Jesse snapped trying to grab it from the taller man. 

"No, you don't. Not if you leave town, the both of you." He said and ran out of the kitchen.

"Get your coat now," Jesse demanded, I grabbed it off the chair as Jesse threw everything that was at the bottom of his sink until he grabbed a bag.

"Jesse you can't be serious.... we can't just leave. I can't just leave."

"They have eyes, Hailey, your car is in my driveway right now." He said, "they know about you now."

"Jess—"

"I'm not taking no for an answer." He said as he physically picked me up off the ground, flinging me onto his shoulder and once we got outside, he put me down.

We got into his car and I knew that something bad was about to happen and it did...

Waiting for us in his car was Tuco, he had a gun pointed at us. "Drive to Heisenberg's."

My heart was pounding out of my chest as we drove, his gun pointed at both of us. I didn't dare look away from the road in front of us — I was way too scared to move.

I didn't plan on making it out of this alive, I didn't even get to say goodbye to anyone. I fought the urge to cry. I had never been so scared in my entire life.

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Jesse's hand shake as he drove us to Walter's house, I didn't even know where he lived.

We pulled up to Walter's and he walked to the car, I wanted to signal for him to run but there wouldn't be enough time. It was Man vs a Gun and the odds were not in any of our favours.

My bottom lip trembled as he stuck his head in the window of the passenger side of the car — my side. His face got blurry as tears clouded my eyesight. I refused to let them fall.

Tuco's voice made me jump, "Get in." He demanded.

Walter backed up from the car, "Get in." He said and I took a shaky breath. I feared if he tried to run I'd be my brains splattered on the windshield of Jesse's Monte Carlo.

"Chica get out of the car for a minute and let Heisenberg sit back here, with me." He said, "If you think about running I'll kill your little boyfriend here."

I got out and Walter squeezed my hand for a moment without anyone seeing. I bit down on my lip to try and calm myself down but how could I? My death felt inevitable. 

Walter got in the back and I sat back down in the passenger seat once again, his gun grazed the back of my ear as he growled 'drive'.