XXIX

"Walter slow down!" I yelled from the passenger seat.

"I can't — we may already be too late." He said as he floored his Pontiac.

One moment I was eating dinner with my sisters and the next I'm getting phone call after phone call from Walter telling me to get outside.

Like always, I didn't ask questions and I ran upstairs quickly so I could change out of my pyjamas.

The second I closed Walter's door he floored his car briefly explaining that 'Jesse is about to do something stupid', what is that something stupid you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine.

I wasn't even familiar with the streets we were driving past. But the world beyond the window was going past me in a fast blur.

Cutting the curb as we rounded a sharp corner, my focus was on the two figures we were heading towards — it was as if he wanted to hit these people! 

I held my hands out to the dashboard in front of me, screaming for Walter to stop. My body went ridge, bracing for impact. 

"WE'RE GOING TO HIT THEM!" I cried out just before a loud thump and I watched as 1 body rolled over his car, the other one must have gone directly under considering I could feel the car jolt.

My body was shaking as I opened the door and got out of the car, my knees dropped to the ground. I didn't even realize how weak my body felt at that moment, it was like my body couldn't keep up with my Adrenaline rush.

I used Walter's car as leverage so I could pick myself up off the ground and I wobbled over to where Jesse was standing. Clutching my stomach, hoping I wouldn't throw up.

"Oh my god!" He cried out and I felt myself gag.

I couldn't throw up here, so close to the scene of a literal murder.

I put my hand over my mouth hoping that it would stop my wave of nausea.

Both men laid on the ground surrounded by a puddle of their own blood, what the fuck am I witnessing? And why did this feel so much worse than when I killed Krazy 8? Was it because I knew he was a piece of shit and I thought that made it okay?

Here Jesse and I stood side-by-side as Walter picked up a gun from one of the guys and he shot him right in the head.

The bullet rolled just in front of Jesse and me. I was shocked to see him pull the trigger so effortlessly. 

"Run!" Walter demanded.

"W-what?" I croaked, my thoughts a jumbled mess.

"Run, now!" Walter yelled and Jesse grabbed my hand and we ran for a good minute or so until we weren't on that street anymore.

I stood on the sidewalk fanning my face, was it this hot a few minutes ago?

"If I knew I was participating in a hit and run I wouldn't have eaten dinner." I groaned, crouching down with both my hands on my thighs.

"I didn't even know you were coming, yo." He said and fumbled with his pocket, "We need to get the hell out of here, I can drive you—"

"I'll call a taxi, there's no way I'm walking back to your car," I admitted, he mentioned it was a few blocks away. "I know my hands are dirty but fuck... this seemed so much more gruesome."

"This definitely was... here I'll call you a taxi." He offered and started dialling the number, wrapping his one arm around me.