XXV

Without much of a choice, Jesse was enrolled in rehab.

Neither Walter nor I heard from him in about a week and a half until Jesse announced that he was getting out. He had completed his 10-day detox. Walter picked him up while I was keeping myself busy with school and I had also made a friend from my class, Carmen.

She seemed alright and she gave me her notes on everything I'd missed. Brandon was lying low at his grandparents after he'd been caught dealing Walter's stupid crystal — I was beginning to see a pattern here, everyone involved in this business was being affected and still, Walter continued to push boundaries.

I found it lonely not really having anyone anymore, I hadn't talked to Jesse since the crack house, and as I said, Brandon was MIA. I didn't feel Pete and I were close enough to hang out. That left me with Carmen, she was quite nice and she and I got along well.

I found it ironic how her parents were die-hard Christian's yet here she was, a college student who spent more time at nightclubs than doing her work. I went to one club with her and let me tell you, that girl can drink. It was refreshing that she wasn't into drugs, I've been around it for too long.

Carmen and I were sitting on her bed going over the review for our class when I looked down at my phone.

Incoming call: Jesse Pinkman

Jesse: Hey uh Hailey, I know it's been a while but I wanted to give you some space, I also know that I ask way too much of you but can you do me a favour?

Jesse and I hadn't spoken since that day in Walter's car, and I knew whatever he wanted probably meant something to him if he was asking for my help. Of course, I had checked up on him through Walter to make sure he was clean and he is.

Hailey: What do you need?

-

Here I was, wearing a whole ass dress and sitting in an office with Saul Goodman. I was pretending to put an offer into Jesse's parents' house. The biggest part was the blackmail, Jesse wanted me to tell his parents (after buying it) that I was his girlfriend. He wanted to prove to his parents that he's gotten his life back together and that I, his 'girlfriend' am keeping him on the right track. I mean it was only a half-lie, I still wanted Jesse to stay clean and get his life together- except now I was his girl friend.

Both his parents entered the office with their own lawyer.

"My client here wants to buy your house in cash," Saul told the Pinkmans.

Jesse's mom looked a bit shocked when she heard that, her eyes widened when she looked at me. A girl in her early twenties being able to buy a house in full is a sight to see. 

I shot his parents a smile, my hands pressed together on top of the table.

"Cash?" His mother questioned.

"Yeah, I know, in this economy." Saul chuckled, smirking at me. "In fact, this money is already burning a hole in my client's account, you can ask Mr.Gardiner."

"It's the only reason we are sitting here." The lawyer commented.

"Fair enough we get a few papers signed and notarized, we can take care of this right now."

"In fact, the money can be wired to you this very evening," I added after Saul. I made sure to wear the most expensive jewelry so that I had at least looked the part — I even took my mother's old engagement ring and I could see Jesse's father staring at the rock on my finger.

"There is just one little hair in the soup... the price," Saul said, looking at his paperwork in front of him.

"We feel 875 is fair." Their Lawyer told us and they both nodded beside him.