Chapter Thirty-Seven: Single Combat

Single Combat

The compound stood tall in a grassland plain nearly devoid of any hills. It was unsettling, knowing that there wasn't anywhere to take cover while waiting for the battle to start. My whole army was out in the open and we had been, without a doubt, already spotted. I had to suppose that while we were at the disadvantage, I couldn't help but to admire the compound itself.

It was placed in a rather strategic position. Grasslands spread out as far as the eye could see, nothing to block their surveillance. It was far from any sort of civilization, deep into the country to the point where we ended up getting off a main road and traveling by dirt roads. All in all, it was definitely the sort of place to store contraband. I could also see it acting as a nice location for a werewolf territory out of the scope of human eyes if it was built correctly.

"Have Vladislav and Alexei arrived yet?" I asked, mainly to Cerys, as we all stood outside our SUV's and stretched out our weary limbs.

"They haven't called yet, so I don't believe so." She answered, pausing to look across the large open grassland. "Besides, I think we wouldn't even need the call to notice. There is nothing in the form of cover out here."

I let out a dry chuckle, feeling a prickling sensation. My head whipped up, almost out of pure instinct, at the feeling of someone staring at me.

"And it seems as though they've just noticed us." I muttered, that prickly feeling not leaving me.

We weren't by any means close to the compound. In fact we stopped just about as far as we could while having a good view of the compound and its surrounding areas.

"How many wolves do you think my brothers gathered on their way here?" I asked Kanjax as he came to stand beside me.

He shrugged. "Probably the same amount, around two-hundred. It was already shady traveling with twenty SUV's, I bet the only reason the humans let us past without too much trouble is because we spread out our caravan for the most part. That, or they caught wind of the trouble brewing between two Alphas and didn't want to get involved."

Two-hundred wolves each... I thought to myself. That leaves me with an overall attack force of six-hundred.

I peered over at the compound, trying to judge it. It was a rather large red brick building with a tall barbed-wire topped fence encircling it. From here it looked to be about three stories, but I wasn't certain of how many wolves would be able to fit inside. It all had to do with the general architecture of the building. But if there was anything I was sure of, it was that Alpha Jackel brought forces back with him and packed that building like sardines. He would've wanted quite the thick shield after all.

Even if Alpha Jackel has eight-hundred wolves in there I'm confident of our fighting capabilities, if it comes down to that. I thought.

"How are you feeling?" Kanjax asked.

I could see in his eyes that he wasn't currently worried about my mental state, rather about how I felt about the upcoming battle.