Chapter Eighteen: Priestess Amere

Chapter Eighteen: 

Priestess Amere

Cerys and I left Alexei to his call, he didn't seem to be finishing any time soon. Instead we busied ourselves looking for Vladislav, Cerys still following behind me silently. A few wolves had volunteered to show us the way to the priestesses' home, where most wolves of this territory gather. Considering I sent Vladislav ahead to prepare for the coming battle I assumed he had taken up residence within the priestesses' home.

I slammed open the door to the cozy looking two story wooden house with a blind abandon. The wolves that stood to the side on the porch sent me a startled look, expecting me to show their priestess more respect. I paused momentarily only to send them a dry look.

The house was far larger than I expected, rather surprising. I didn't know being godly had such a high paygrade. I looked around, my gaze narrowing. It seemed this priestess may need to be investigated. The furniture in the foyer seemed to be rather high grade, from the armchairs to the end tables.

Vladislav's scent wafted through the air, as if my little brother had been pacing around the house for a few hours. It was almost as if a visible trail filtered throughout the house, wafting heavily from a room to my left. I entered, to find an office, and a grumbling Vladislav with a furrow between his brows.

"You look a little frustrated, brother." I stated, leaning up against the door-frame.

Vladislav released a dry laugh, standing as he motioned for me to take his seat at the desk. "A little frustrated is an understatement. It seems as though I overestimated myself, thinking I needed only a few hours to get things in order before you arrived."

I took the seat he offered as he himself sat in one of the armchairs across from the desk, Cerys walking into the office and leaning up against the wall rather than taking a seat. Amere's desk was a mess, all sorts of files scattering the oak tabletop. It seemed as though Vladislav had already came to the same conclusion as I and had already began his investigation.

"From the state of things it looks as though you also didn't come to like our priestess in these parts." I stated, skimming through a few documents that looked rather damning.

Vladislav ran a hand through his brown hair, his green eyes darkening from his anger. "Other than how disrespectful she was, it was obvious from her home if not from how she dresses that she does not act like the average priestess."

I nodded, filtering through the papers in search of something to tie her to the neighboring pack. "The question is, who is providing her with this lavish lifestyle?"

Vladislav shrugged, pursing his lips. "I was trying to find that out before you arrived, at least." He said with a sigh before muttering, "But I was close..."

I paused, glancing up at my little brother who showed one of his rare bashful expressions. "Vlad, you don't have to act so pitifully. You've always done well. And it isn't like you've caused us any delay, after all, we still have to wait for Kanjax and his men to arrive."

Vladislav fought off a blush failingly before trying to draw the attention away from his pitifully cute reaction. "Oh? I didn't think you would mix pleasure and business."

I scowled at him, knowing full well he was just taking a jab at me. "He is the Beta of an ally pack. I am mixing nothing, it just is what it is."

My phone rang just as I finished speaking, Vladislav jolting forward to get in his last words before I answered. "Speak of the Devil and he shall appear."