Chapter Twenty-Eight: Seasons of War

Seasons of War

Cerys tossed me a bitter look, taking a seat on the desk. We were alone, the archive wolf having long since been dismissed along with the men. Yet her lips were still clamped closed, as if speaking of the subject would make it become even more realistic.

"Well?" I prompted, peering up at her with eyes glimmering in curiosity.

I was excited to finally have something interesting happen, someone close enough for me to actually be interested in what tea they had to spill. Growing up I wasn't surrounded by many girls, and the only girl that was my constant company was Aunt Viktoriya. And even she didn't count for much, always disappearing and doing her own thing every once in a while. Like usual, I haven't seen her for weeks nor heard a word from her.

"Well what? Nothing is going on, so I don't know what you're referring to." She responded stubbornly, flicking her hair over her shoulder.

I scoffed. "Anyone with eyes can see that somethings going on between the two of you." I deadpanned. "So spill."

Her shoulders drooped slightly, giving into my persistence. "Fine." She muttered with a sour look before continuing. "He's been acting oddly close to me ever since I was able to track him down. Ever since we met he's been sticking close to me, like I could disappear at a moment's notice. He also, oddly enough, seems to know quite a bit about me. Such as my likes and dislikes, and he uses them to his advantage at every chance."

I cocked my head to the side, finding that quite odd. "And you've never met him before?"

She shook her head. "No. I had only known him through rumors, and I certainly didn't expect him to accept my offer just because I led a coven. For a warlock known to be elusive and a loner it was rather odd how quickly he begun following me around. He even said some shit about being interested in joining my coven, despite the fact that he never joined a coven before."

"Hmm." I hummed, tapping my chin for a moment as I thought before having a small epiphany. "Perhaps he fell in love with you at first sight!" I exclaimed, not seeing any other explanation.

Cerys scoffed, shaking off my idea. "I doubt it. Love is nothing but an illusion for the rest of us born without a soulmate. It isn't anything other than something to be used and exploited by others." She stated bitterly, a storm crossing her features.

With that our conversation came to an abrupt halt, Cerys bitterness and hatefulness towards love putting all talk of the matter to an instant halt. I could tell from this conclusion that we wouldn't be having any talks of love or anything similar for the foreseeable future.

Poor Dakarai. I couldn't help but to think. He wasn't going to have it easy, trying to worm his way into her heart with the way she viewed love.

A few moments of heavy silence passed between us before Cerys spoke up once more, changing the topic. "So, this war. Even without being able to consult a map, what is your favored route of approach?"