Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Hunt

The Hunt

Alpha Jackel had given us plenty of time to settle on a battle plan, showing up at the borders three days later. We settled on two plans, one for if Alpha Jackel decided to challenge me when he arrived as well as if he decided to retreat and needed to be baited. The plan for if I was challenged was relatively simple; my wolves would block his subordinates from interfering while we fought a fair battle. Now the other plan, Vladislav and I had a little fun with it.

What we came up with was a three pronged battle plan, and probably the most put together plan we've ever created. Vladislav would stay with an army in our recently conquered territory of Oklahoma, manning the compound that I had taken for our pack. Alexei would move into Missouri, a territory that became ours with Belams' defeat, and rouse an army at the border of Kansas. Meanwhile, Kanjax, Cerys and I would invade Nebraska by making our way through Iowa and increasing our numbers as we went. Only after Nebraska is captured would the real battle start.

Based off of the map that Kanjax found there wasn't anything all too important about Nebraska, however, it was a prime position to swallow Kansas into my territory. And the threat to Kansas would be what would draw Alpha Jackel into our trap, since he would want to protect the large weapons cache he had stashed away within a warehouse in Kansas. Once he was within Kansas our operation would commence, three armies attacking all at once. With such a large attacking force the chances for Alpha Jackel's escape was slim to none, just as we had planned.

"Ruslana, are you ready?" Kanjax asked from the door of the office, waiting to escort me down to the courtyard.

I nodded, making sure my pistols and sword were strapped down on me. "Yes, let us go meet Alpha Jackel and see what nonsense he has to say."

Alpha Jackel arrived at my compound in Oklahoma thirty minutes ago, and I was enjoying letting him wait. Alexei had left the compound yesterday, wishing to have plenty of time to pull together an army in Missouri. I was planning to leave for Nebraska with Kanjax and Cerys after the confrontation with Alpha Jackel.

In general the entire compound looked far better now than after we conquered it, having the blood and bodies nicely cleaned up. The concrete flooring and walls returned to their gray color, save for a few spots that were still discolored with bloodstains. A scent of blood and death still lingered in the air, but it wasn't nearly as heavy as it was a few days ago. We left all the windows open, hoping to air out that scent as soon as possible.

As we stepped out into the courtyard I could already hear a heated discussion over by the front gates. I had let my wolves know in advance that I didn't want Alpha Jackel to enter the compound, under any circumstances. He was stuck behind the other side of the gate, no doubt seething in anger and humiliation.

I walked down the stone pathway leisurely, in no hurry whatsoever. Kanjax walked beside me while Cerys stayed further away leaning up against the building. Vladislav stood at the gate with ten other Konstantin wolves, keeping Alpha Jackel at bay.

"How dare you block me at the gate!" Alpha Jackel screeched, his face reddening with each word. "This compound, and all the land surrounding it, is rightfully mine!"