Chapter Thirty-Two: Bend the Knee

Chapter Thirty-two:

Bend the Knee

The tile was painted with blood to the point where I couldn't even tell what the original color was. Bodies were strewn about, but we didn't seem to have had too many casualties. The wolves defending their compound had been demolished, not a soul left since none of them decided to surrender. They stood their ground and fought to the last wolf, something that was admirable despite still losing in the end.

"Send a group of wolves to the upper floor, make sure that there aren't any more wolves skulking about." I ordered before looking over at Cerys.

She was looking better than earlier, but not by much. There was a little bit of a flush to her cheeks, and she wasn't sweating as heavily anymore. After the battle ended we had some time to rest, sitting side by side on the rubble. I was glad to see that she was doing better.

"You think Kanjax noticed the explosion?" I questioned lightly, wincing at the thought of how Kanjax would respond.

Cerys scoffed, glancing at me out of the corner of her eyes. "Is that even a question?"

I winced, knowing that she was right. "He's not going to be in a good mood." I noted.

She shrugged. "Probably not. I bet he's been itching to get in here since the battle started, but was unable to since he had to hold the line."

"I should go outside to let him know how it went, shouldn't I?"

Cerys nodded. "I think that would be best. I'll meet you outside later."

I made my way outside, shuffling slowly as to avoid making any movements that would be too painful. It was obvious that I was in rather bad repair, and my condition was far worse than I wanted it to be. Considering that I still had a showdown with Alpha Jackel to handle.

Outside a battle was still raging, citizens attacking the blockade that we had made. Some of the SUV's we used to block the gate had shattered windows, and dents from wolves throwing themselves up against the vehicles. But other than that the blockade was still standing.

Kanjax held the blockade without using much force, it seemed from the lack of bodies scattering the ground. It looked as if he had just used enough force to ward the citizens from entering the compound, without fatally injuring them. After all, there was no reason to kill the wolves as long as we didn't need to. If they could be subdued or deterred it was the best avenue of approach, rather than ending their lives.

I hadn't walked all that far into the courtyard before Kanjax noticed me. He was near the gate, standing behind an SUV and barking out orders at the wolves underneath his command. I could see when he noticed me, despite the fact that he wasn't facing me. His shoulders tensed as he paused in what he was doing, scenting the air for a moment before turning around.

As his grey eyes met mine I could see relief flood his eyes, before he noticed what bad shape I was in. His expression quickly took a turn for the worse, a frown twisting his lips as his eyes darkened. He made his way towards me roughly, stomping across the lawn like an angry bull.