Chapter Twenty-Two: Baby Cousin

Chapter Twenty-Two:

Baby Cousin

I grunted as the bandage was pulled taunt over my shoulder wound that was slowly mending itself. The wound on my back and hip weren't mending as well, due to the silver poisoning me. My left hand wasn't doing all too well either.

"You've been busy." Cerys commented, her hand trailing across the tattoo visible at the edges of the bandage on my shoulder.

"How many are there now?" I questioned curiously, not remembering the last time I counted the flaming skulls.

"Forty-seven." Kanjax stated from nearby.

I was a little surprised of both the number and the fact that Kanjax had counted. I must've fought a bit more than I had thought.

"Where's Dakarai?" I asked, not having seen him since the last time we spoke.

Cerys sighed out of annoyance before pointing upwards. Low and behold Dakarai floated a handful of feet above us sitting with his legs crossed. He looked rather relaxed, and from the lack of blood splatters adorning him he didn't seem to have taken part in the battle.

"Have you been up there this whole time?" I called out to him, brows furrowed.

Why would he follow us to battle if he had no plans to fight? I questioned silently, my paranoia rearing its head at the sudden inconsistency. What is his motive?

"Of course." He responded with a shrug. "I specialize in spatial magic. What am I going to do? Teleport a wolf a few stories in the air and let him free fall?" He questioned sarcastically.

We looked up, pondering the idea. Even Dakarai seemed a little interested in the idea.

"Just because you specialize in one type of magic it doesn't mean you're barred from all other forms. You just won't be as proficient in the others." Cerys said, more to my benefit than his, as flames danced from her fingertips. "I do not specialize in fire magic, but I am capable of using it."

"And just what type of magic do you specialize in, little chick?" Dakarai asked curiously as he peered down at Cerys.

Cerys' mood soured instantly after hearing what Dakarai referred to her as, her eyes narrowed into slits with her lips pursed begrudgingly. "That is something that I don't have to tell you, now or ever."

I had to admit, I was a little sad she didn't tell him what magic she specialized in. Even I was a little curious. She had yet to tell my brothers and I, and we were her family.

An alarm sounded, signaling the end of the conversation. Kanjax silenced the alarm on his phone that he had set for twenty minutes. The time for our break had ended and now it was time for the second battle. The battle that decided who this territory belonged to.