Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder

It was some time before Alpha Jackel decided to lay off his threats and scolding's to come and greet me. He looked absolutely livid that I, of all people, summoned him within his own territory. That look and the disdain that flashed through his eyes was enough to shoot a tingle of excitement through me, my bloodlust slowly rumbling to life at the sight of my prey standing before me.

"Alpha Konstantin, what an unpleasant uninvited guest." He muttered through gritted teeth, his slicked back brown hair slightly messy as though he had been running his hands through it.

"What a way to greet someone." I stated, a grin curving my lips as I gave him a scrutinizing once over. "Something's different about you since our last meeting." I said, pretending to mull it over before exclaiming in mock epiphany. "You aren't trembling in fear today!" I took a step forward, roughly gripping the fence. "It seems as though you're awfully confident in this fence of yours. I would advise you not to be. This wolf has blown down tougher obstacles."

Alpha Jackel squinted at me, taking his own measure as he tried his best to ignore my words. "What is this bullshit about you, an intruder, summoning me?"

I took a step back and clasped my hands behind my back, my excitement plainly playing across my features. "Why else would an Alpha summon another? For a duel of course! I'm here to challenge you, for your title and territory."

He narrowed his black eyes at me, a sour look twisting his features darkly. "You say that as if I would actually accept a duel from someone like you."

I cocked my head to the side, my smile dropping into a flat line. "And what exactly is someone like me? A half-blood? A she-wolf? Or are you saying you would deny everyone who you deem not of your standards their right to a duel? And you would deny me that right, despite being of equal ranking?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "How odd, how easily you dismiss our laws yet use them when they best suite you."

He scoffed, shrugging off my words. "There is no such law. In this pack the alpha is determined by blood, and by blood alone."

I shrugged, sticking my hands into my front pockets. "It's interesting of you to say that, considering the fact that challenges in general are mentioned quite often within our laws. One such law is that of a blood debt; should one wolf kill the kin or loved one of another it is that wolfs right to challenge them to a fight to the death. No matter the ranking of each wolf." I stated in remembrance, remembering how an Elders pup had once used that right against me. "As a matter of fact, I had that law used against me once."

Alpha Jackel waved off my words, but he looked slightly nervous. "The laws of your pack have no grounds here in mine."

I laughed in disbelief by how he was still trying to keep his pack twisted in his ways, in ways that would only benefit him. "That would be correct, except for the fact that these laws are not of my pack." I pointed out, something we both knew to be the truth. "The laws of challenges is one of our old laws, the ones set in stone since before any of our parents' times. And I consider the fact that you don't make this known to your pack, despite making use of the old law that makes this little war season of ours possible."