«He Will Be Okay»

I was floating around in darkness, well I wouldn't exactly call it floating. I didn't have a body. It was more like my soul was just, there. There was no nightmares, no pain, no torture. It was peaceful.

Death

Is this what death felt like? A never ending void where nothing could hurt me because I'm already gone. I liked it more than I would ever admit. The idea of being safe and out of harms way was more inviting than anything I had ever been tempted by. But I couldn't leave, I couldn't give into the darkness until it was my time. That was what Keira would have wanted. She was always the reasonable one.

I felt a cool liquid splash on my face. Even though I had decided not to give in I still truly never wanted to leave. A bright light dawned upon me, trying to drag me out of this world. I fought, but soon it consumed me and I relinquished my hold. 

The light faded and the colors of green and blue came into my vision. I moved my head to the side looking around.

"James? James are you okay?" I heard a voice yell as they shook me. I tilted my head head again,  searching for its source, with and my eyes landed on none other than Octavia. 

"Octavia?" I mumbled although it came out a bit slurred. "What happened?"

"You- you were fine one second and then the next you fell to the ground and then you started crying. I didn't know what to do and then, and then you turned over and vomited. After that, well, you just passed out and I didn't know what to do, and I poured water on you cause I was really worried and-" she had started rambling so I cut her off with a weak smile.

"I'm all right Tavi I think I just was a bit dehydrated of something." She slightly smiled at the nickname and gently reached out her arm to help me to my feet. 

I looked up and noticed that the sun was on the wrong side of the sky? "Hey Tavi why is the sun..?" I pointed to the suns position and then looked back at her.

"Oh yeah, sorry I forgot, you kind of slept through the night and a bit of the day. The group already just left to search for Jasper but I stayed behind to take care of you because," she gestured to her bandaged leg.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement while mentally yelling at myself for letting the group leave without me. Even though I barely knew Jasper he was just 15, too young to be trying to survive and speared through his stomach. I couldn't believe I missed looking for him. I groaned. "I can't believe I missed the search party." Octavia smiled and patted my arm reassuringly. 

"Monty might need some help in the drop ship, he's trying to contact the Ark." I nodded my head and gradually started to off in its direction. Keira had been an engineer, so I knew a trick or two when it came to building things.

I walked in the drop ship and climbed the ladder, my head peeking out and searching around for Monty. "Monty?" I questioned.

"Over here." I heard a small voice. I looked over to the noise and saw him crouched on the floor next to a few scrap parts I recognized from the ship. Thankfully so far he hadn't hurt me or yelled at me for my psycho reputation, so thought he was safe to be with. "I'm trying to contact the act using some wristbands." He grimaced as he slumped down on the wall while fiddling with a few wires. "Not working so far."

I climbed the rest of the way out and walked over softly, slumping next to him on the ground. "You got this. Your the smartest person in this camp by far." I gave him a reassuring smile and turned away, looking out one of the makeshift windows. I sighed. We couldn't have just come here and had it good, life was never that easy.