Love and Life

James paused as he heard the gunshot, waiting for a feeling of pain to explode into his body, waiting for himself to collapse to the ground before slowly bleeding out - but neither happened.

He looked down at his body, but he didn't see a single patch of red.

Could the bullet have missed him? Murphy had still been aiming at him when he had kicked the stool under Bellamy away, and his finger had been on the trigger.

Murphy snapped out of the confused trance he had been in as he turned his head at another sound, a small yell of pain from under the dropship. Raven.

His eyes darkened in anger, and he pointed his gun at the floor, repeatedly shooting bullets into it, one after another.

"No," James whispered, his vision swimming with red as he felt anger seep through his veins. But he was frozen, his thoughts consuming him second by second.

Murphy still looked confused at the sound of the gunshot, his body pausing again, but he brushed it aside - turning back towards the boy with a rope around his neck.

Bellamy. He looked over as everything in his brain clicked, seeing Bellamy clawing at the rope on his neck as he gasped for breath.

"Using your hand to cheat!" Murphy growled. "Mine were bound, remember!"

He reached forward, trying to get to Bellamy, but was abruptly cut off as James tackled him to the ground, staring down at him with absolute rage. "I trusted you," He finally said, his fist raised, ready to land a hard blow.

His heart broke at that; a person who at one time he had thought of as family was now one of the people who had hurt him most.

His head turned at a sudden noise - the dropship door was opening. He turned back to Murphy, a boy who had been through absolute shit, and he stood up, and then he turned away.

The boy paused before scrambling up the ladder, looking for an escape.

James rushed over to Bellamy, snapping out of the rance he had been in just seconds before, his face now panicked as he looked around the room for a sharp object to cut him down.

Finally landing his vision on a knife, he rushed over and grabbed it, his head staying focused as he heard footsteps behind him.

Out of the blue, Jasper was next to him, quickly grabbed Bellamy's legs, pushing the boy up higher so that it would be easier to breathe.

James sawed at the lower part of the rope quickly, breathing a sigh of relief as it broke and Bellamy fell to the ground.

He knelt next to the boy, his rigid state instantly relaxing as he heard the older boy suck in a large breath of air.

"Bell, breathe, breathe," Octavia instructed as she rushed to his side, letting out a shaky breath as she saw his chest rise and fall.

James didn't know what to say - how could he even put the thousands of things running through his mind into one sentence.

He only hoped Bellamy hadn't seen how he had let Murphy go, gave him a second chance - but if he had, he didn't comment on it.

"Raven, he's fine," Jasper shouted, but there was no answer.

"Murphy," James took a deep breath to calm his rapid breathing before continuing. "He shot at the floor where Raven was. She might be hurt, or- or-"

His words died off as he felt a hand grip his, and his eyes followed it to the boy on the ground, staring up at him.

James froze and then let out a small breath, giving him a weak smile, composing himself before looking up.

"There was a gunshot, right before Murphy was about to kick the stool, or maybe shoot me. I don't know where it came from, but it gave us a few extra seconds of time."