«Atom»

James awoke early in the morning, the smell of warmth and fresh dew on the grass drifting into the cave. Anything was better than waking up to flat metal floors that smelled like the world was ending. 

He turned his attention to the petite girl who was sleepy soundly, snuggled into his arm. He slowly shifted away from her as to not wake her up but his attempt was unsuccessful as she yawned and her eyes fluttered open. James gave her a small smile, trying to hide his weirdly large canines with it.

He then directed his focuse to Bellamy who was sound asleep. He would admit, Bellamy was a huge jerk but he really cared about his sister. He shifted away from the now awake Charlotte but let out a cry of pain as his injured arm rubbed against his jacket's sleeve.

That seemed to wake Bellamy as he groaned and rubbed his eyes. James bit back another cry as he quietly stood and trekked out the opening of the cave, Charlotte following him. He had forgotten how beautiful Earth was, how it seemed so innocent from afar but deadly when you got a closer look. 

It seemed so vibrant  now that he had gotten sleep. Sleep! He hadn't had any nightmares with Charlotte. She really was a special girl. An idea popped into his head. He smiled behind him at the little girl and shifted nervously. "Did you, um, have any nightmares? Beside the one before I was.." he made a gesture referring to her tucked in his arm. She shook her head. 

"Could you do it again? Stay with me I mean." She questioned as she shuffled her feet looking down at the ground while James eyes lit up.

"Yes! I mean, of course, you helped my nightmares too."

He heard footsteps and turned back to see Bellamy. "Fog gone?" He said curtly. James nodded.

All three of them emerged from the cave as Bellamy shouted, "Anybody out here?"

He tried again. "Jones?"

"We're here!" James sighed in relief at the boys, maybe Atom was with them. At the back of his mind he knew it wasn't true. He had the chance to save Atom, but his selfishness had gotten in the name. Just another person to add to the lives he had ruined.

Octavia. Octavia would blame him, she had been very close with Atom. He ignored those thoughts and put on a weak smile as tears threaten to rain down his face as they moved to where Jones had shouted. The two boys came into view.

"Lost you in the stew. Where'd you go?" Bellamy asked.

He didn't see Atom.

"Made it to a cave down there. The hell was that?"

"I don't know. Where's Atom?"

Where was Atom? 'Dead' a voice in his mind chanted. 'Shouldn't you be happy? Atom was mean to you, Atom thought you were the psycho everyone knows you are.'

James clenched his hand. He wasn't happy, he was in pain. He was always in pain.

A silence overtook the group, their worried expressions present on their face.

A large high pitched scream from Charlotte sounded a ways away. James sprinted quickly in the direction, trying to see her. He found her, staring at the body of a barely alive Atom. He ignored the searing pain of his arm, he ignored the continued screamed, all he could see was Atom. 

His arms, face, leg, everywhere, was covered in angry red blisters. His brown eyes were glazed over with white, he was blind. Bellamy caught up behind him, along with the other two boys from the hunting pack.

"Son of a bitch. Atom." Bellamy moved closer to him and knelt down. James followed his lead, tears forming in his eyes.

"Kill me." He breathed out raggedly. "Kill me." James hand went other his mouth, choking down a sob. He had once been like this, not in this amount of pain but in a similar situation. His eyes reflected into a flashback.

He lay on the cold metal floor of his shared cell, blood covering him. He couldn't even move his body, he only felt pain. He felt pain for himself. Pain that Keira has been so stupid to sacrifice herself and leave him. Pain that his mother died because of his birth, pain that his father had disowned him before he could even recite numbers to ten, pain that he didn't even feel remorse for the people he had killed.

Pain that he now had to suffer so much. Pain and anger and guilt that because that one person had tried to hurt Keira, that one person's best friend had now done to him what his friend had failed to do.

And now more people were dead because of him. Pain because he hadn't even an ounce of love for himself in his scarred, broken body.

He was alone.

He was snapped again out of his flashback as Bellamy shakily took the knife Charlotte had given him, about to mercifully kill Atom. He turned to the group and roughly said, "Go back to camp. Now." They agreed but James stood still, his feet couldn't even move if they wanted too. Bellamy turned back to the little girl. "Charlotte, you too."

She weakly nodded and walked away, following the boys. James noticed Clarke, Finn, and Wells coming into view as they watched sadly as Bellamy knelt down, ready to cut Atom's throat. Clarke stepped forward, her hand resting on his shoulder. "Let me," she whispered. Bellamy shakily nodded and stepped back. James, trying to give as much comfort to Atom even though he was ready to crumble down and never get up, ran his fingers shakily through Atom's hair trying to soothe him.

Clarke slowly put the knife to Atom's throat, while humming a sad yet cheerful tune, She quickly slit his throat, putting him out of his misery. Inside, James knew he was the one who really killed him, he was the one that had left Atom to suffer. James killed Atom, and he wouldn't forget it. He never did.

Hello my lovelies, I know this is kinda a short filler chapter but I SOLEMLY SWEAR I shall release another chapter tomorrow! So yeah, stay safe :)

-SYDTHESLOTH