Always

James gazed over at the sleeping bodies lying on the floor as he rested his head against the cold back of the dropship.

He had been caring for a large number of the delinquents while also battling the virus himself for the past few hours - leaving him tired and worn out.

He had hoped to see Raven and talk to her about him confessing to Bellamy, but he couldn't find her in her usual space, not seeing anyone in the 'bomb-building' tent - so he just assumed she was somewhere else for the moment.

He closed his eyes briefly, listening to Murphy's footsteps and voice as the boy moved around the delinquents.

"Here."

"Get the hell away from me." A hoarse voice responded, his eyes snapping open as he recognized the voice. Bellamy was awake, arm propping himself up with the other held out, pushing Murphy away.

He wasn't exactly sure how he should act around the boy, most of it because James had just confessed his biggest secret, and maybe, partly, kind of because he felt something for the boy.

A feeling. The kind of feeling that makes you warmer and safer around. The kind that gives you small butterflies when they smile at you.

He liked it.

"Bellamy, you're sick, ok? I'm just trying to help."

Bellamy sat up, glancing at James quickly before his focus turning to the remnants of blood splattered over his face. Murphy offered a small rag to him for the blood, but Bellamy just rubbed it away with his hands.

"When I get better; if you're still here-"

"Hey," Clarke interrupted, James sighing in relief that he didn't have to step in. "I got this one."

Murphy nodded as he handed the cup of water to Clarke, standing up as he walked over to James - ignored Bellamy's wary glance.

"How's your face?"

"Not bad, it's gonna scar."

"Figures,"

James drummed his fingers against the cold metal floor as a thought popped into his head. "Have you seen Raven? I needed to talk to her."

Murphy shook his head as James nodded, closing eyes again - although he could still sense Bellamy's gaze on him.

After a few more minutes, he decided to walk around the camp, maybe find a job to do while he was at it.

He stood up with a stretch, carefully maneuvering his way through the bodies before emerging from the dropship.

The sunlight blinded him as he blinked from the glare, his eyes quickly adjusting.

Just as he was about to start walking, a loud explosion sounded in the distance, the ground slightly shaking at the impact. Panicked voices filled the air around him, one of them his.

Clarke, Bellamy, and a few other delinquents ran out of the dropship, gazing up at the sky where a large black cloud of smoke was billowing up from the ground.

"They did it," Bellamy commented, James looking back at forth between him in Clarke as all the pieces clicked into place. The hydrazine - Raven missing.

"You guys sent her to blow up the bridge," He whispered, glancing at them with remorse.

Clarke looked back in confusion. "No, Finn and Jasper were supposed to. Raven is..." She trailed off as her eyes searched the crowd for the familiar brunette; the thought reminded him to check up on Octavia once he made sure Raven was alright.

If she was alright.

"Oh no," Clarke breathed out as Bellamy searched with his own eyes, still not finding the girl.

"She'll be fine; Finn will make sure she is alright," Clarke said, sadness and a hint of what could be identified as jealously in her voice.

They turned their gaze back to the once blue sky.

"I am become death, destroyer of worlds."

"Oppenheimer." James finished, acknowledging the words. Clarke just nodded as she stared back at the sky, now clouded with the dark remnants of destruction.

***

"There! It's them! Open the gate." A guard yelled as she excitedly pointed to the figures walking towards the gate.

Jasper and Monty were in sight first; cheers arose as they walked forth with a smile. James nodded towards them as they walked by - having heard about the difficult task Jasper has been assigned - but his face was still frowning in worry.

Octavia, who he had just noticed, smiled at the boys as a light expression swept across her face.

Two other figures stumbled out of the trees as James caught sight of them and rushed forward. Raven was swaying, blood around her mouth and eyes as Finn held her up.

James rushed forward, taking up her other arm as he shared a glance with Finn. They carried Raven to the dropship, setting her down gently.

An unspoken agreement came across the two boys, and they quickly gathered rags and water to help Raven - Clarke also helping.

After she had fallen partially asleep, James stood at the edge of the dropship, staring at nothing and everything. Jasper and Monty talking excitedly at the fire surrounded by others, a delinquent leaning against a tree as they wiped the blood from their eyes - trying to hide the virus from their nearby friends.

As he continued to gaze, he could feel Bellamy walk up beside him.

"Are you ignoring me?"

James shook his head; before sighing and reluctantly nodding. "I'm sorry, really - I just don't know what to say."

He grabbed a spare cup filled with water, downing it with one gulp before turning to look at Bellamy. The dark-haired boy was much closer than they had anticipated, him taking a gulping as they were only inches apart.

He quickly stepped back, his nerves feeling overwhelmed as he slowly walked down the ramp of the dropship, hoping that Bellamy would follow him. Bellamy blinked out of his trance as he caught up and walked beside him.

"It's fine really, just - please talk to me. Even if it's just in one-word sentences, please."

James turned to him, letting out a small smile before turning to the blazing bonfire. "Always."

***

Short chapter for today because the next one is gonna be a lot longer :P - (my excuse for being lazy)