Crash Landing

When James came back around to the world of the awake, he felt horrible. Maybe it was the lingering guilt of being forced to leave Murphy behind or the total exhaustion, or possibly it was the loud shouting from his friends and acquaintances.

"I told you no guns!"

"I told you we couldn't trust the grounders. I was right."

He felt somebody come to his right, gently pouring water down his throat.

"Oh, James. What have you been doing since I've been gone." Raven murmured as she looked sadly at his half-awake form.

"Not much." He whispered back as he tried his best to send her a weak smile. "Do you have food?"

He could sense her nodding as she took a few wild berries and a stick of jerky out of her backpack and popped them into his mouth.

Raven had known the truth about Keira, as they had worked together before as mechanic and engineer. Although she in no way did agree with what James had done, she understood why.

"They came there to kill you, Finn." Bellamy's voice cut off their conversation as he finally fully opened his eyes.

Octavia, Clarke, Bellamy, Jasper, and Finn all stood in the circle arguing.

"You don't know that. Jasper fired the first shot!"

"What the fuck guys," He mumbled, causing them to look at him. "I'm gone for a few days, and suddenly you all are fighting?"

"James," Octavia rushed toward him as he stayed sitting. "Are you okay?"

He let out a weak laugh. "No." He frowned. "They have Murphy; we have to go back for him; he's in trouble."

"Murphy?" Bellamy spat out like the name was poison. "I don't care how close you both are; we cannot go back for him.

"What about Lincoln?" Octavia cried out in anger. She turned to Jasper. "You ruined everything."

She took James by the arm and helped him up, surprisingly strong for her stature. He had recovered bits of his strength from the food but still needed a good amount of support, so he just continued to lean on her while he walked.

He sent an apologetic look to Jasper as if he hadn't shot; he might still be a prisoner.

"I saved you!" Jasper called out after them, James not knowing to whom the words had been directed.

"How did you even get me from the bridge to here?" He asked as they neared one of the tents.

"Bellamy carried you the whole damn way."

James nodded, a bit in shock at the somewhat kind gesture. He guessed Octavia wouldn't have been happy if he had left there, he must have been reading into it too much.

"Look!" He heard one of the delinquents exclaimed, pointing up to the sky. "It's the Exodus ship!"

He had missed much more than he had thought if the Exodus ship was already coming down, coming down very fast. Too fast.

"It's too fast," Octavia observed as he nodded his head in agreement.

"Oh no," He mumbled as the ship fell to the ground, no parachute deployed. An explosion lit up the sky as the kids around him gasped.

"Clarke's mom was on that ship," Octavia said quietly; as she directed James back towards the tent. She lowered him to a sleeping bag slowly as he relaxed against what felt like clouds compared to the rough floors of the cell.

He turned to see her sad eyes staring blankly at the tent wall. "It's okay." He murmured. "We'll find them. We'll find them both."

That was a promise he intended to keep.