Warrior

After climbing down the ladder from the upper level, James looked around the dropship. His eyes caught a lone spear leaning against the wall, and a few paces away, a walkie-talkie on a makeshift desk.

He stilled for a moment and then walked forward, picking up the electronic device first and linking it to his belt, followed by the spear - smiling as it fit almost perfectly in his hands, light enough to carry easily but heavy enough to pack a punch.

He needed to get his head out of the clouds and back down to Earth; ironic, as he had spent most of his life in space.

But those days were long gone. Plus, since it didn't seem like the people from the Ark were coming anytime soon, the main priority of the delinquents was to survive and maybe live to see another day.

Maybe, even live to see a week, or see the time when the Ark arrived, and they would all go back to being worthless no one's.

They could dream about an exciting and livable future all they wanted, but war was coming, and it was almost here.

"All gunners, we've got movement outside the south wall." The walkie-talkie on his side crackled.

James reacted quickly, nodding to the other gunner who had been off shift to go as he followed behind him. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jack readying his gun, getting up as Myles gave him a pained and worried look.

James quickly rushed over, shaking his head. "Jack, you stay here. Stay with Myles."

The boy nodded, stopping his movement as he kept his gun at the ready, then shuffling closer to Myles.

He then took off, keeping his brain focused so that his eyes wouldn't instinctively search for Bellamy, who was most likely on his way down from the dropship.

Everyone gathered near the south gate, weapons raised as the guard at the top looked down from where he had sighted the movement.

"Wait! Hold your fire, open the gate!"

Although confused, a handful of the delinquents rushed to open it as the gunners cautiously lowered their weapons. As soon as the gate was wide enough, someone ran through, followed by another. It was Clarke and Finn.

James let out a relieved sigh, thankful that they were back and for what it seemed not severely wounded.

He blocked the bit of embarrassment at the thought that he had so rashly kissed Bellamy just minutes ago, and now he would be staying in camp. Almost immediately, he felt guilty, blocking out the thoughts as a grin stretched across his face.

After getting over the slight shock, he jogged towards them, giving Clarke a hug and Finn a nod and smile. The girl hugged him back but pulled away quickly as she looked around and then at him in worry. "We heard an explosion; what happened?"

"Murphy happened," Bellamy spoke from behind him, almost scaring him as he nodded in agreement.

"Thank god you're okay," Jasper said as he hugged Clarke, having run from the dropship as soon as he had seen she was back, James stepping slightly away so that they didn't bump into him and accidentally bumping into Bellamy in the process. "Where's Monty?"

Confusion swept over Clarke's face. "Monty's gone?"

"Clarke, we need to leave - now. All of us do." Finn interrupted. He turned to the delinquents around them all and spoke. "There's an army of grounders coming for us, unlike anything we've ever seen. Coming for us right now. We need to pack what we can and run."

"The hell we do." Bellamy shot back. "We knew they were coming."

"Bell." Octavia interrupted, stepping forward. "We're not prepared."