Dead by sundown

James grabbed a spare spear from the weapons area, turning it around in his hands. It looked easy enough to use for hunting, he supposed, and if he went with Octavia, she could certainly give him few tips.

It would be a much more effective weapon to use in combat as opposed to his knife, which felt uncomfortable as he had to use it in close quarters when fighting.

As he turned to walk out of the dropship to find Octavia, the girl snuck up behind him - making him jump as she spoke, "Partners?"

He spun around, a small smile on his face as he nodded. "Duh, I was going to find you anyway."

Another voice sounded beside him, tearing his gaze away from the girl. "I'm coming with you both."

Bellamy stood there, his face set as he looked at both of them, but before James could respond, Octavia cut in. "Bell, the others need you here to protect the camp. James and I will be fine on our own, promise."

"No, absolutely not. I can put someone else in charge, like Clarke, or-"

"Bellamy," James quietly interrupted. "Clarke is going too. We'll be okay. Promise."

Octavia nodded in agreement, her gaze focused on Bellamy, who looked absolutely torn at the moment.

"Fine," the boy reluctantly agreed - stepping back as he gave one last lingering look at the two. "But if you see any sign of them, anything,"

"We'll run," Octavia finished, Bellamy sighing as he walked away.

"We still need a gunner, though." James reminded her, their problem solved, or more likely enlarged as a familiar voice, one that sent panic in him sounded.

"If you don't mind, I could fill that position."

Dax grinned, his expression only seconds away from a sneer. Octavia didn't notice as James stilled, shock coursing through his system.

Octavia looked him up and down, the happiness she reserved for those few people she liked hidden away. "Alright, you're in. Get ready; we leave in a few minutes."

Octavia glanced at James' expression, then back at Dax, only now noticing the panic, before tugging the former boy to the side. "Hey, are you okay?"

James's eyes were glazed as he stared off into the distance. He couldn't believe, even for a second, that he thought that wrenched boy was dead.

But, as he looked down at the spear he held, he realized something. He had a weapon. He wasn't defenseless, and he wasn't vulnerable.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm okay."

He wasn't, not yet. But he knew one way that would make sure that Dax was never in his life again - it wouldn't take away his own trauma, his impending fear that someone would follow in the evil boy's footsteps, but it would make sure Dax got what he deserved.

He was going to kill Dax.

And he was going to do it today.

***

James crouched in the trees, gazing at the boar a few feet away. It was grazing, minding its business as it lived its carefree life.

Octavia crouched next to him, with Dax behind him - way too close for comfort. His nerves had been getting the best of him as he obsessively pondered on how he would do it, more importantly, how to do it as discreetly as possible.

He couldn't get Octavia wrapped up in this - he didn't know what she would say if she knew what he was going to do.

Maybe he would do what he had done before; maybe he would dig deep in that rage that had harnessed him when the guard had floated Kiera in front of his eyes.