Alternative Ending

"Everybody, get inside now!" He heard Clarke shout.

The grounders were now coming from all sides, and at this rate, with him slowing Bellamy down, they weren't going to make it. The dropship was too far away.

"Bellamy, James, run!" Clarke shouted, having spotted them. The injured boy abruptly pulled away from Bellamy's grip, grabbing a deceased grounder's nearby weapon - similar to his spear but shorter - from the ground, holding it at the ready as he pushed Bellamy towards the metal structure.

"Go! I'll hold them off."

"Are you insane?! I'm not leaving you." He picked up a gun quickly, shooting a grounder that had come close to him as he stared in confusion at the boy.

"You should." James choked out as tears started rolling down his face. "I've done bad things. I- I'm a bad person. You deserve to live. This, it's my fate, and I've accepted it. You should too."

At the last words, he choked out more of the foamy poison, breathing raggedly, as he wiped his mouth. A grounder spotted him, charging towards him, and he was miraculously able to stagger to the side, then stabbing where he knew the heart was.

"No!" Bellamy shouted, grabbing James and dragging him closer to the dropship, behind the few barrels close to where Clarke and Finn crouched, as he pulled the weapon out of a grounder he had just cut down.

They were almost there, just a few more steps. So close. Except Bellamy had been distracted, a grounder was in front of him, but he boy was looking at James - who gained one last second of clarity. His short spear was on the ground, a few feet away from where another grounder had knocked it. If he didn't do something, then Bellamy was gone.

So he jumped in front of the sword.

He expected an explosion of pain, embraced it even - but it never came. Clarke stood a few feet away from him, gun in hand as she looked where the dead grounder lay on the ground. She grabbed both boys, pulling them over behind a barrel as Bellamy stared at James, still in shock.

His brown eyes scanned his body, finally deeming it unharmed before throwing his arms around the smaller boy.

"You idiot! Don't you ever try something like that again. If Clarke wasn't there you'd- you'd be,"

Bellamy trailed off, bringing him into another hug.

"I would do it again any day," James managed to get out before turning to the side, coughing out the substance - laced with blood yet again.

"Your wound," Clarke's eyes widened. "The arrow was poisoned."

Jame smiled up at Bellamy, feeling even weaker than before. He felt exposed, vulnerable at that moment.

"You have to leave, I won't make it in this state," James said, pushing aside his instinct to survive at that moment. Bellamy was more important.

"We have some of the cure we used on Finn," Clarke hurriedly spoke. "It might not be enough, but I can try."

Bellamy nodded, his face set into a determined line as James reached up to touch his cheek from his crumpled position on the ground.

"You're an idiot, you know that."

"Just hold on a bit longer."

Bellamy lifted him up, James lighter than usual from vomiting and choking, although the older boy still staggered under his weight.

"I'll cover you," Clarke said, shooting both boys a smile.

"Thank you," James managed to mouth to her, eyes filling up with tears. Here he was trying to save them, and now they were saving him.

He felt like he was disconnecting from the world as Bellamy carried him, running towards the dropship as he heard the distant sound of gunfire. He could feel himself slipping, slipping away as he was put on the ground, Myles leaning next to him with wide eyes as his boyfriend rushed to get something that a brown-haired boy was shouting for.

Blond hair came into his view next, crouching next to him and tilting his chin up as a salty tasting thing slid down his throat, choking on it as he tried to swallow it but he was so, so, tired.

"Swallow it, come on James, swallow it." The blond girl said, panic in her voice. The brown-haired boy spoke next, begging him. The voice sounded familiar, sounded like it meant something to him.

He swallowed, his throat screaming in pain as he did so, but he swallowed again and again until all the liquid was inside him.

Then everything went dark.

And then endless light filled his vision.

He opened his eyes, seeing the most beautiful boy in the world looking down on him, fear in his brown eyes.

"James, James are you okay? You- we thought you were dead."

"Bellamy?"

***

WHEN I TELL YOU I WAS INCHES AWAY FROM MAKING HIM SAY 'WHO ARE YOU' AND LEAVING THIS A FRIGGIN CLIFF HANGER I WAS SO CLOSE

Anyway this is for the ones who cried on the last chapter (looking at you @PaTATaSfRiTaS2112 @silashateslife @mystery_nogender @xianisdead ) hope this is better :)

<3