Chapter 30: Choose (Part One)

Friday Afternoon (Four Days Later)

"If they saw my work in art class, they would reconsider putting me on arts and crafts duty." I joked, trying to make a rose out of construction paper. It looked more like I crumpled a piece of red paper and glued it on a green pipe cleaner.

"I think your flower exemplifies the deep problems in society today." Hunter said, making another flawless paper rose.

"Really? I was going for a rose."

"Oh. In that case, it's horrible." he laughed. "The instructions are right there." He pointed to the twenty-step guide taped on the table with illustrations on how to not make a crumpled up rose.

"You're horrible." I nudged his arm as I threw away my umpteenth ruined rose.

"Ahem."

I lifted my head up to see an unhappy girl with black curls styled into fohawk, and her arms crossed. She was giving Hunter a deadly stare that made my bones cold.

"Regina, nice to see you." He smiled like she wasn't trying to kill him with her eyes.

So this was his girlfriend. She was pretty, I could see how a guy like him ended up with a chick like her. And why I didn't end up with him. I was so over my school girl crush of him, for years now. But I wasn't going to lie, he was a catch.

"They need more man power setting up the tables. I told them you would be of no help but they insisted." She rolled her eyes, pointing behind her where they were bringing out the round tables.

"Yeah, because I'm your weak boyfriend who can't lift anything."

"You said it, not me." she lifted her hands in surrender.

"Whatever." He stood up from his seat, looking Regina in the eyes. "Play nice." He said, before leaving to help the others.

"Are you going to be taking his place?" I asked, taking another piece of red construction paper. "Let me warn you, it's probably easier than I make it look like. I just suck."

"He told me to play nice, not you." She took his seat and surprisingly, she wasn't staring me down. She looked more... human. Like she actually had a soul.

"Do you want me to be mean?"

"No." She sighed. "I'm sorry for almost giving you a mean letter. That's not me. I should have told you to your face like I do with other people."

"That's all I ask." I chuckled. I was not taking her seriously at all. "I want to be targeted equally."

"I'm actually okay with your little friendship with my boyfriend now. I trust him and I'm not threatened by you, like at all." She giggled. "You're less prettier in person."

"I always notice that when I look in the mirror." I smiled. She was trying to put me down but she didn't notice that I was already at sea floor. Her comments just tickled instead of hurt me.

"Low self-esteem isn't cute." she rolled her eyes. "I may trust him but I don't trust you. You seem desperate and I don't want you throwing yourself at him."

"Why do you assume I'm up for the taking?" I rose a brow. "I'm not single either."

"Hmm." she twisted her lips. "Why aren't you going to the dance with him, then?"

'Because he use to teach you' wouldn't have been a great answer so I chose my words carefully. "He's older and graduated high school a couple years ago."