Chapter 8: Cold Shoulder

Walking out of the elevator, I felt a rush of worry surge through my body. Could I really do this? I haven't seen nor talk to my family in months and now I'm suppose to burst through the door as an unwelcome guest?

Yes. I have to do this for grandma because I have to show her that I didn't throw her out of my life, I had to show her that I still care and love her.

Room 8-1A... there lies my so called family.

"Can you come in with me?" I asked Damian. He's actually really cool and I've found solace in his new friendship. I no longer detest the idea of going to homecoming with him. I think I'm actually looking forward to it in a non-romantic way.

I locked my arm around Damian to keep him at my side and also for support. I felt ready to get out of the hospital but I wasn't at one hundred percent yet.

My hand trembled furiously as I reached for the shiny knob. Can I really do this? I'm not sure if I'm strong enough just to barge in uninvited and see the people who have turned their back on me beside my grandmother on her deathbed.

Grandma laid there paler than the white walls and her bald conformed the diagnosis, she had cancer.

Even though this was one of the worse circumstances, this was my chance to get my mind out with out being pushed back by web blocking. I need to take it and hold it tight in my shaking hands.

I took a few deep breaths, something I've adopted from Chad, and opened the door.

Slowly, I walked in with Damian connected to the hip. They probably thought he was another bad boy boyfriend I picked up. They all turned to face me with fight stricken faces as if I was some homicidal killer ready to take their lives. My grandmother, on the other hand, looked surprise but happy surprise. She's the only one in here who's content with my arrival.

"Lilly!" she smiled from her bed. Her head was shaved, and her skin was the same color as the white walls, covered in freckles. It had to be cancer.

Oh my God! She's dying and I haven't been with her since the beginning. If it wasn't for my injuries, she could have died before I even got to say goodbye.

"Grandma." I said, on the verge of tears. This was all so sad and I'm not sure if I can take all the emotions flying through me.

"Lilith..." my mother's eyes soon filled with tears as she walked over to hug me but I stopped her with a raise of my hand. So now she wanted to be a mother? As the child, I shouldn't have to be the first one to make the move for communication. They should have called or visited, anything but block me out.

Unlocking my arm from Damian's, I grabbed hold of his arm and dragged him towards my grandma. He must of felt the ultimate form of awkward since I pushed him into a situation he had no reason being in for selfish reasons, and I'm sorry for that but I needed him.

"You're finally out of jail!" Happiness seemed to gleam from her eyes and her beautiful smile but the smile quickly turned into a frown when she analyzed my body's bruises. "Did they do this to you in there?"

Wait- jail? That's the excuse they came with? They should have said I left for college early or a preppy boarding school, anything but saying I was in jail.

"Grandma. I was never in jail." Turning my head a few degrees, and I sent a furious glare towards my father. This was really the best he could come up with?

"You're a judge, right dad? You should know slander is wrong."

"Get out." I heard my grandma say. Was she talking to me? She couldn't have been talking to me.