Chapter 30: I'm Falling (Part 2)

I paused, taking time to take in his words. I didn't know much about Chad's family, he barely talked about his deceased adopted parents, and now he wanted me to meet his mom?

"You can't just dump this on me!" I huffed, suddenly feeling self-conscious. I didn't need someone else judging my every move. Feeling too anxious to notice the pain I was in, I sat up, planting my feet on the ground and crossing my arms.

"Are you getting out or not?" the taxi driver asked.

"Yes." Ignoring my dropped jaw, Chad paid the driver. "Come back in an hour or so."

He opened his door, pulling out my crutches with him. Carrying them with him, he walked over to my side to open the door for me.

The smart-me would have stayed in and paid the driver to take me home. I wasn't ready for this! I had no idea when I would be. I just didn't want to worry about his 'mother' liking me. I was not in the mood to be stressed out. I knew this was important to him, he was probably nervous under all that coolness. I just had to rally through for him.

Reluctantly, I exited the car. A gust of wind decided to blow a handful of my own hair into my mouth, causing me to spit it out in a way that would make my mother cringe. I could hear his laughter during it all. Classic Lilly, I even found a way to be embarrassed by wind.

I yanked my crutches from his hands, still angered by this situation he dropped me in. This is why I didn't like surprises; they took away your right to choose. I wanted to support him but this seemed a bit much too soon.

"How did you find her?" I asked, ignoring the taste of conditioner in my mouth.

"My parents gave me a letter she left me when she gave me away. She said to find her when I was ready."

"Are you?"

Chad bit his bottom lip; he looked drown in thought. "I think I am. I found her on LookBook and now here I am, going to meet her." I could hear him take a deep breath and watched his chest pull in and pop out.

"Well, let's go." I cheered, hoping that my change in mood would please him. I could take being stressed out, but it just looked sad on him.

She lived on the first floor, the last door in the hall. The walk seemed to stretch for hours even though it couldn't have been more than ten seconds. We stood in front of the beige door, just looking at it. I turned to him, his eyes still locked on the door.

"She'll never know you're here if you don't knock." I informed him.

I watched as his hands clenched, just to be released again. He was a whole bundle of nerves, I could tell by his face. He never looked so torn, not even by me. This was serious; the woman who gave birth to him and let him go was a few feet away.

My parents let me go over a year ago and I was freaked about seeing them when I was with Max. I couldn't imagine seeing them practically for the first time after twenty three years. I'm pretty sure my mind would explode. I wasn't sure if his hadn't yet.

If he wasn't going to knock, I was going to have to for him. I knew if he didn't do this, he would regret it. He helped me; now it was time for me to come to his aid.

Reaching out my arm to knock on the door, it slipped off the crutch and next thing I knew, I was falling. You would think me being in danger would make him snap out of it and catch me.

Nope.

My face met the door mat and my crutches ended up hitting the door. Today was just not my day.