Chapter 20: Future Dreams

I couldn't think of any place I wouldn't want to be more than here. I even thought about asking Max to turn the car towards my parents' house but chickened out at the last minute. It was mostly because of the girl who sat in the passenger seat with an apple pie on her lap. I had never been in the back row of while Max drove the car until today and it felt cold back here. He was using his mom's old Prius that usually sat in the garage when he wasn't carpooling. He left his Corvette home since it had only two seats.

Gosh I hated being in the backseat.

It didn't help that the blond girl he was dating was Fiona, a girl who had to be gorgeous. I've seen her hang out with Anna friends a couple times around school but never knew who she was and she was the girl Tessa and I spotted Max hugging like a month ago. From the way she acted when I've seen her, I could tell she was quiet and kept to herself most of the time but I knew I hated her. I didn't have a valid reason but I was sure I could conjure one up soon.

The girl was practically the prettiest girl in school with her blue eyes and slender figure. And if that wasn't enough, she was on the freakin' cheerleading squad. I was the underdog, so I was supposed to end up with the handsome jock. I didn't know her so I couldn't even say anything against her and that bugged the crap out of me. I wasn't jealous but I was extremely annoyed.

As a person who wore their emotions on their sleeves, I wasn't surprised when Max noticed my plummeting mood. I just wished I was a better liar.

"Nothing's wrong." I continued to fib. "I'm as giddy as a..." What was giddy?! "As a... horse?"

"Oh-kay..." He wasn't convinced but I was glad he was finally off me. I hated hogging the attention.

I felt out of place when I walked into Max's house even though I woke up in his parents' room just yesterday. I froze when I remembered what I was wearing. Yeah, I had shorts on but I wasn't scared by the length but by the tattoo it revealed. Luckily, his parents weren't here yet.

I pulled Max aside, gaining questionable looks from both him and his... girl.

"Can I borrow a pair of your sweatpants, please?" I begged, clasping my hands together.

"Why, you look great the way you are."

I smiled, taking in his compliment. At least he still found me attractive. I shook my head, remembering the plan at hand.

"I can't let them see my tattoo." I pointed to the drowsy girl on my thigh. My shorts only covered the top of her head and the circular frame that surrounded her.

His mouth opened to the shape of an 'O' once he registered my point. He sped walked to the basement and I followed closely behind. Before I knew it, I was staring at a black rug covering where he attacked me. My lungs decided to take a break and I found it harder to breath. I hadn't been down there since the incident and now I was trapped.

Calm down Lilly, you can take this. If you could look at him, you could look at the room.

"Lilly?" I snapped out of my trance and saw the black sweat pants he was handing me.

They were too big but I was sure if I tied the string and rolled the waist that I'd be just fine. "Thanks." I smiled.

He left me alone as he went upstairs to give me a bit of privacy. I slipped the pants over my shorts and tried to make it fit. I tugged it to make sure it wouldn't fall and turned to walk away when something caught my eye.

In the waste basket near the steps, I found some pictures of us underneath a banana peel and that hurt more than any blow he administered. I could feel my eyes swell up in agony because my heart couldn't take this load of pain. He was supposed to be the one that was there for me when everyone turned their backs on me but he wasn't. I was staring at his back now and I had no one.