Chapter 15: How It All Started

[IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR!!!! THIS CHAPTER STARTS FROM WHEN MAX AND LILLY FIRST MET AND FAST FORWARDS TO WHEN SHE MOVES OUT OF HER PARENTS' HOME SO THERE WILL BE SOME DRAMATIC IRONY (WHEN THE READER KNOWS SOMETHING THE MAIN CHARACTER(S) DON'T). BEFORE I CONTINUE WITH THE ORIGINAL STORY LINE, I FELT LIKE YOU SHOULD KNOW SOME OF THEIR HISTORY. THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL CONTINUE ON FROM WHERE THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER LEFT OFF.]

Chapter 15: How It Started

March 2012 (More Than a Year and a Half Ago)

"Oh my gosh!" Anna cried as she hid behind a clothing rack. Before her lame attempt at hiding, her eyes widened from what she saw behind me.

I quickly turned my head around; failing to notice what caused her to jump so suddenly.

"What?" I asked, taking another quick look around, trying to notice what she noticed.

"Max Flynn is standing right there and I'm looking a hot mess." She answered behind a clutter of cotton cardigans.

She was not a hot mess. Her red hair was straightened to perfection and her long black and white horizontal dress defined her curves better, giving her an hour-glass figure.

Me on the other hand... Sweat pants and a five minute attempt to comb my hair did nothing to make me seem even close to approachable. I would have dressed up and iron my bird nest of a hair but Anna didn't alert me that we were heading to the mall when she dropped by my house without notice. My father nearly blew his lid but he always had a soft spot for Anna. He felt like she kept me out of trouble but little did he know that she was the one who ended up getting me into crazy situations.

The other month she persuaded me to sneak into a Rated R movie and now I was banned from Charlie Cinema's for three months. She was not a star influence.

I've heard of Max Flynn. He was the captain of the boys' basketball team which was big since this was his sophomore year, making him the youngest in our school history. Since practically everyone knew his name, even students from other local schools, he was probably the king of our homely school. I loved Ticonderoga High, don't get it twisted, but sometimes the students just irked my nerves. They were too busy bumping into walls because they were glued to their cellphone screens and followed the blind status quo.

Max was extremely handsome since his dark black hair was pushed back; creating a quiff like look and his blue eyes mesmerized anyone who stared at them too long. Lean muscles covered his arms and his award winning smile made girls everywhere swoon. I've never met him but I've seen him in the halls at school holding onto whoever was his girlfriend that week.

"You don't look a hot mess." I turned around once again and quickly noticed him standing in front of Foot Locker alone. He was endlessly tapping his fingers on his phone's screen.

Turning back, I gestured towards my unfashionable ensemble. "This is what you call a hot mess. Anyways, why do you care so much of how he thinks of you?"

"He's a captain. I've always had a thing for guys in charge. If I get into his inner circle, I could finally make it to the top of the food chain." She bit her lips as she stared at him behind the rack. "And he's a total babe."

I rolled my eyes. Why did popularity matter so much to her? We weren't unknown but our list of friends didn't run that far.

"Then go talk to him." I encouraged. Max was not my picture of an ideal guy but if she wanted to get his attention, he had to at least know she existed.

She sighed in defeat. "You just don't get it. That's Max Flynn. You can't just walk up to him."

"Oh really?" I cocked an eyebrow.