Chapter 24: Takedown

Sunday (Day after Christmas)

Sitting in the diner, I was angry. A lot had happen to me in this past year and it was almost over but to make the next easier on me, I had to extinguish my problems right now.

The fifties theme diner where Chad and I had our first date seemed like the perfect place to start. I missed church with Anna's mom since she was a major Christian but I couldn't wait another minute.

It was funny because now I was still stuck waiting at a table with nothing but my ice tea in front of me.

He was late and that was the gasoline to the flame burning inside of me. I got that nobody was perfect and that everyone had their own flaws but I expected more from Chad. I expected him to love me and only me, to not wander away and lie to my face. To be on time!

Calm down Lilly. You're better than this.

I took a deep breath, trying to collect any scraps of sanity left. I didn't know what I would do if I lost Chad. I just hoped that he didn't give me a reason to leave because I'd been in one toxic relationship too many.

Around twenty grueling minutes later, he finally arrived. He stood in front of me, casually dressed in a black sweater with a collared shirt underneath, looking like a young professor with his ensemble and thick glasses. He rarely wore them so I took in how cute he looked when the lenses magnified his brown eyes, making you focus on the warm beauties.

I took my eyes to my tea, the cool refreshing drink sitting in its tall glass. I was supposed to be upset with him, not checking him out.

Even though I wanted this meeting pronto, I took my time getting ready. Before Anna left, she curled my hair loosely since she wouldn't allow me to be with Chad when my hair looked like 'a mountain of fur-balls'. I paired my black and white collared Aztec patterned dress with leather-like leggings. Even with my feminine outfit, I couldn't help but wear my black Vans. I canceled out the tomboy shoes with some red lipstick which I was still not comfortable wearing.

Makeup was never my forte unless I was trying to hide something. Right now, I didn't have any scars to hide, at least physical ones.

"Merry belated Christmas." He chuckled, kissing my forehead before he took his seat. "I didn't hear from you."

"Funny because I called."

"You didn't leave any messages." He shrugged.

Was he really going to play stupid? "If Carla's your secretary, than yes I did."

His face turned blank like all the power in him shutdown. He was exposed and I was ready for an explanation.

"I couldn't let her spend the holidays alone." He said. "Nothing happened."

"I know she spent the night. You expect me to trust you after you said you'll stay away from her?" I scoffed.

"I know how it is to be alone, you do too so I expect you to be a little more understanding."

"Ha!" I cackled. "She's not alone. She's been staying with her boy toy this whole time. She's trying to steal you away from me."

"And what makes you think that?"

"Because she threatened to tell the school board about us, that's what." I rolled my eyes.

He paused, rubbing his chin as he looked at me. I wish I could climb into his head and see what he was thinking. To be honest, I didn't trust him. Max was an awful drunk but he never lied to me. He probably kept secrets but he didn't lie.