Chapter 13: Cute Awakening

Walking to my Calculus class, I couldn't help but wonder what Mr. Mason had to say. I left so quickly that I barely had time to take in what I said. I just let it all out and my only regret was leaving. Why did I have to leave? I get that his face was no longer a treasure to me but I deserved to at least hear his part.

Why didn't he run after me? He usually would at least call me by my full name or pull me back but this time, he let me go. Was he letting me go for good? That was our end and he left me in shambles while he had Carla to fall back on. Who did I have? I couldn't tell anyone about us and the only person who knew refused to talk to me not like I would talk to him about this snyways. I was alone with no cheerleaders for my emergency pick-me up.

I refused to let this break me, to let him break me.

*

After school, I managed to get a ride from Tessa to Publix for Orientation and learned some of the basics of being an employee at a grocery store. It was pretty lengthy and since I was eighteen, above the child labor laws, I didn't get home until seven. Tessa got Chris to take me home and we got reacquainted again. He was starting to feel like a stranger but the laughs we shared in his jeep brought back the friendship we barely built.

After thanking him for the ride, I entered my house as I noticed Carla's pink Honda missing from the parking lot. I guess she had plans with Chad. I was no longer jealous, why would I be jealous that she was dating an unprofessional womanizing fool? I said I wasn't jealous, not angry.

Tired from the whole day, I went straight to sleep after doing my homework. I ate at Publix so I wasn't hungry and my bed was calling my name while I was working on the last of my Calculus problems. Doing derivatives are like counting sheep to me.

A couple hours into my slumber, a loud noise from downstairs awakened me. If that was Carla, I was going to have to introduce her face with my pillow. The thing was I didn't know who it was. It wasn't like I could see through floors.

Grabbing my flat iron as back up, I slowly made my way downstairs. I heard Carla legendary snoring when I passed her door so it couldn't have been her. With my grip tightening on my iron, I took the hall that led to the kitchen where the light was coming from. It sounded like someone rummaging the fridge until the intruder shuts it, cutting off the light source.

With my back on the wall of the opening to the kitchen, I whisper a quick prayer before I take on this unwelcomed guest. This could be a burglar or big foot for all I know. If it was big foot, at least I could probably get a reward for catching him instead of facing on a potentially armed criminal.

As fast as I could, I turned the corner and turned on the light to see the mystery person in my kitchen.

Remembered my thoughts on this being big foot? Well they were wrong and I think my other prediction is to. Instead of a seeing a hairy beast or a masked villain, I saw a guy who seemed to have a few years on me in his boxers with a combination of broken glass and jelly in front of him on the floor.

He was cute and his messy dark brown hair sat perfectly above his smooth face. The smile he was wearing revealed his deep dimples and pearly whites. I really needed to go to the dentist...

"Thanks, you saved me from stepping on the glass. I could be so clumsy without trying." He thanked, scratching the back of his head.

"No problem." I smiled, taken back by his incredible physique. Was he flexing?

Wait. Who is he?

"Who are you and why are you in my house?" I asked, trying to take my eyes off of him which was an impossible task.