Chapter 19: Moving Out and Whatnot

I couldn't stop the memories from flowing in as I touched every souvenir of Max's and I relationship. I remembered the night of the 'Under the Stars' dance by the red dress I wore. Whenever I looked at it, I remembered how John forced himself on me and I couldn't bear to wear it again, it was tight and a little revealing. Maybe one day I'll get over it, but right now I kept it locked in its hanger.

On the other hand, the necklace only made me think about chivalrous Max and how he protected me. The jewels felt cool in my hand as I clasped it over my neck again. I didn't think I could go one day without wearing it. It was also part of Max's mom's plan to make me stay now that I thought about it, she was the one who gave it to him to give it to me.

When I folded the Coldplay tee that he gave me at George Whitman's foam party more than a year and a half ago, I couldn't stop myself from basking in the memory of his arms around me while we grooved to the fast pace hip hop songs. The USF overall hoodie he brought me back from his visit of the campus did little to take my mind off of him. It was like the house was trying to bring me back to him and my clothes were soldiers in that war.

"I'm pretty sure you're slow when a pregnant girl is going faster than you." Anna said, zipping up her Hello Kitty suitcase filled with my clothes. I had to borrow some of her packing gear since all of mine weren't enough to hold the monsoon of clothing I've gathered throughout the year.

Max's father was a doctor but also owned shares to a lot of successful local businesses while his mother got her nursing license a couple years ago, so they were like a medical power-couple. When I moved in, they welcomed me with open arms. I didn't pack up my whole room when I left my parents' house; I only came with two suitcases of clothing and shoes so they took me out on a shopping spree.

I've always loved shopping with Mrs. Flynn and she always spoiled me but that was then. Now that I looked back at it, it was all part of her plan to make me stay and it worked. She made me feel so welcomed and loved, so why would I have returned home?

"You're not even showing yet." I rolled me eyes.

"I will in a couple weeks." She returned back to the quickly emptying closet. "You have so much cute clothes but you don't wear them. Why?" she asked, inspecting a short pink overall Mrs. Flynn brought me on one of our many shopping trips.

"I don't know. I guess I got so comfortable with Max that I didn't feel like I needed to dress up or accessorize." I sighed, packing up my jewelry box, another gift from Mrs. Flynn.

"Oh my gosh, it's like you guys were married." She gagged. "Well, now that were staying together, you have to let me borrow some of these before I get fat."

"Sure. You don't even have to ask."

"I always dreaded this day would come." I turned back to see Max at the doorway. He looked tired, a side effect from basketball practice. I was hoping I could be done before he came home but Anna was right, I was too slow.

"Hey." I forced a smile as I walked up to him.

"Is it too late to make you stay?"

"Months late." I sighed.

"Well... I'll just get these bags in the car." Anna grabbed a duffle bag and a small suitcase in her hands, and wobbled out.

"I can help if you want." He offered.

"I'm not gonna stop you." I chuckled, walking back to his parents' dresser where I kept my everyday lounge wear.

He headed to the closet to finish up Anna's job.