Chapter 1: He Beats Me

I looked into Max's eyes, how they shone like the lights of a big city, blue and crisp like the ocean. Even with the glitter in his eyes, there was a dull undertone to it that showed what he felt beneath.

He was enjoying hurting me but I could see his shame. Still, if he loved me, why did he smack me around like a punching bag? I was his girlfriend, for goodness sakes! His so called 'one and only', so why did he demolish my body along with my whole being? I was only a battered shell of who I once was. Or maybe I was always nothing...

"You make me do this, you know that?" he said after pushing me to the cold concrete ground of his bedroom. As always, he was drunk thanks to a party he went to prior. The alcohol stunk so bad, and the acrid stench seemed to radiate off of him like he bathed in it. His parents weren't home again and I could scream as loud as I wanted, but no one would hear me from his thick walled bedroom deep in the basement.

I'll admit it, I was weak. I wished I was strong like my sister, Jillian! She could've hurdle through any obstacle life threw at her, but me, I was daddy's little girl who got what she wanted just by asking (well, everything but a car). I was the one who depended on others for support.

Now I had nothing.

As an eighteen year old senior, I was able to move out of my parents' house without being charged as a runaway, and into Max's parents house. When mine found out he was beating me, they demanded that I break up with him. As you can tell, I did the classic teenage thing and rebelled.

Of course his parents made it mandatory that I slept in the guest room on the second floor, but that didn't keep Max from pulling me down to his room. He said it was only temporarily before we left for college together.

I was trapped here; I've burned all my bridges with my family, and my friends refused to talk to me since I was dating Max after their objection. That didn't keep them from locking elbows with him at school. His popularity made him immune to ridicule and harsh judgment. I, on the other hand, was a sitting duck.

"Please stop!" I begged. All the time these words slipped out of my mouth like the blood that dripped from my lips. I didn't know why I talked when he didn't listen; I was just wasting energy that I truly needed.

Grabbing on to my hair like it would run away, he pulled me up to eye level, "Why when it's so fun?" he smiled devilishly. This was nothing new, but seemed to be the same level as terrifying constantly.

Tears erupted from my eyes, leaving transparent trails along my cheeks. Why was I so weak? I felt like a waste of space.

"Please Max... stop." I whimpered pathetically. Even I was disgusted with myself. How could I have chosen this? I knew his was abusive, but here I am, living with him and his ghost parents.

"I will." He threw me on his king size bed, causing my head to bounce off of the headboard, and I instinctively touched the wounded area with my hands. No blood.

Unbuckling his pants, he crawled onto the bed, maneuvering himself on top of me.

"Stop!" I pleaded, pushing myself as far from him as I could. There was no use. He was stronger and bigger than me.

Ignoring my words, he began kissing my lips fiercely even though I didn't want him to touch me at all, so I bit his bottom lip as hard as I could. That was the only move I could do.

"Bitch!" He yelled in pain. After getting off of the bed, he checked his bloody lip at the mirror in the back of his room, near his weights.

Seeing my opportunity, I ran up the stairs that lead to the ground floor of the house, and made my way to the bathroom. My body collapsed against the door, tired and defeated. After locking myself there, I continued to cry. He broke the lock of my bedroom so this was my best hideout.