Chapter 16: I Know You

"I guess I started a month after you left," Jillian took a sip of her bottle of tea as I clung to her very word.

I sat across her on the large sofa as she struggled not to cry.

"Dad was all up in my business," She continued, "and I was tired of him telling me what to do like I was his puppet. I wanted to be in charge for once. Looking back at it now, it just showed how much control he had over me. Mom was too busy sipping her red wine to care about what was going on with me."

"How long did you continue doing it?" I asked, barely touching my drink. Ice tea was not strong enough for a situation like this.

"Once or twice every month until last month. I quitted but a teacher noticed the scars today and called mom and dad. I know why I did it and I stopped. I have control over myself so I don't need to be admitted."

"I'm not the one you should be pleading to. I wish you could just stay here but you can't." It was hard to say no to my sister. She wanted me but I knew what she really needed was freedom, freedom from my parents.

"So you're sending me back to them? What kind of sister are you?!" She stood up from her seat, grabbing her blue messenger bag from the coffee table.

I followed her out the door where she stopped in front of Anna.

"Hey Jill! What's going on?" Anna greeted in front of the doorsteps. Her eyes squinted in concern when she saw her red eyes and disappointed expression.

"Nothing. Oh, you know boy troubles." She laughed off.

She and Anna were pretty close one time. I used to get jealous of their relationship when I was younger because sometimes I felt like the third wheel so I was surprise that she lied to her.

"Boys are jerks. You're a pretty girl so you don't have to worry about them." Anna pulled a strand of Jillian's hair back and gave her a friendly smile.

I could tell that Anna wasn't buying what she was saying but understood that we all had our own secrets.

"Where are you going?" I asked Jillian.

"Home. This obviously isn't it." She turned away from me and started for the sidewalk,

Looking at the driveway, I saw that the car that was parked wasn't Anna's but another familiar person's vehicle. Why was Max always driving her here?

"Don't walk. Just ask Max for a ride." Anna suggested and without a hassle, Jillian did as she said.

I would've thought it would have taken more pushing since she knew what he did to me but I guessed Max could've never been a bad guy in anyone eyes.

After making sure Max drove her in the direction of my parent's home, I entered the house with Anna. It still felt a bit weird being friends with her again. I just couldn't help but think of all the torture she placed me through.

"You haven't forgiven me." Anna stated once I closed the front door.

"What?" I said flabbergasted. I was pretty sure that I told her that I forgave her.

"I'm not stupid Lilly. You didn't even try to talk to me at school today." She took the stairs without asking and I followed her. She ended up stopping at the bedroom where I slept.

She slipped out of her snake skin flats and tackled the bed. She was truly making herself at home.

"Don't worry; you don't have to ask to nosy yourself into my room." I said sarcastically, sitting at the computer desk.