Chapter 9: Kitty Has Claws

(Beware: I haven't edited the parts of this book since Chapter Two so sorry for any mistakes. Please comment them and I'll fix them. I just don't have time for editing/revising so I'm doing that when the book is completed. D: )

Damian, being the nice thoughtful guy he is, drove me to the nearest pet rescue shelter so I can adopt my first pet ever! We took a quick detour to my house to get my side bag and then we were off to the shelter.

I want to have someone that will love me no matter what, someone that I can hold when I'm feeling down and a cat seemed like the quickest solution. My judgment could have been irrational since I just learned Max is dating the devil and also since I'm still medicated by the pain killers the nurse injected to my IV earlier. It all didn't matter because I was getting a kitty cat!

The animal shelter was a bit small and drafty but Damian said his mother adopted their cat from here two years ago.

"Aw, they're all so cute!" I felt like I was let into the biggest mall in the world where everything was free for me. Some of the cats were injured but still adorable. Only one of them really caught my eyes.

"Is that a male kitten?" I asked, pointing to the blue eyed tan orange-ish cat with spots on it's back and stripes everywhere else. It was so different but yet, so beautiful.

"Yeah. That's a Bengal cat, two months old." The shelter's owner answers. She was a middle aged red head woman named Rebekah who was carrying a black cat in her arms.

"He looks expensive." Damian said, taking a closer look in the cage.

"They usually cost around six hundred dollars but we found this one hungry and alone in an ally a couple of towns down. He was abandoned by his original owners so we took her in and trained him how use a litterbox and trust again."

He was kind of like me in kitty form, abandoned by the ones he thought would be the for him unconditionally. I've never connected so much with someone emotionally as I did with this cat. If only I could be taught to trust again because it seems like all the people who were with me in the past have left me out alone.

"I want him!" I bent down and placed my hand on the cage and the kitty walked over and licked. "I think he likes me."

"Yes, he does." Rebekah agreed.

"Get him then." Damian said as he pulled me up. It was hard enough to walk and stand, but getting up from a kneel is just torture.

"Okay. How much will it cost?"

"Well for vaccinations, processing, all all that fun stuff; it's fifty dollars."

Fifty dollars? I hope I have enough.

Crawling into my bag, I found the money Max gave me before the dance half a month ago. He was so nice and cared so much about me. I raised my hand to my neck to touch the beautiful diamond necklace ha gave me that night. I never took it off (except when taking a shower) so it became part of me.Sometimes I even forget I'm wearing it.

Removing a hundred dollars from the wad of cash, I gave it to her with the biggest smile on my face. "Keep the change." This place has made me the happiest I've been in a long time and the deserved every penny of that tip.

"I'll have the paperwork ready in a few."

With a few signatures and initials, I had a pet license and a Bengal!

When we got into Damian's car. I couldn't help but feel sad for the little kitty stuck in the cage so I sat in the back seat with him in my arms. He was so soft and cuddle, so affectionate and loving, he was just what I needed.