Chapter 6: Dinner at Six

What did I just do? I just made the target on my back even bigger, as if it wasn't huge enough! She was going to make sure I paid for my words plus interest in any way she could.

I guessed I had more things to worry about like dinner at Chris's house so Anna was now lower on my priority list.

Why did I agree to go again? Oh yeah, I needed a social life.

I sat at my usual spot for lunch but skipped getting a plate of whatever the cafeteria was serving. I wasn't really hungry at the moment and food was the last thing on my mind.

"Are you ready to talk?" Max took his unofficial seat next to me and I noticed his scarred knuckles.

I was too busy ignoring him to notice it last night and this morning, but I could surely see it now. Maybe I was too hard on him. Yes, he did something that was totally avoidable but he tried his best to fix by saving me and moving me to his parent's room. I didn't know if I'll ever forget, but it was time to forgive.

"You're forgiven." I announced, grabbing his hands.

The scabs on his knuckles rubbed against my palms roughly, causing a scratchy feeling. He was hurt because of me. His hands were vital for basketball but he risked it for me. That was worth something, right?

"Thank God." he sighed. "Why aren't you eating?"

"Chris's mother invited me to dinner tonight. You know Chris, the new neighbor you never told me about." I answered, looking at him sideways.

He should have at least let me know that we had new neighbors. It was like he never told me anything unless I asked and that pissed me off.

"Wow." he replied slowly, pulling his hands from mine.

"Wow what?" I asked, throwing him a confused glare.

"That boy is trying to take everything from me. My title, my team, and now my girlfriend." he grunted.

Could he be more jealous? Chris was cute and all but I wouldn't leave Max for him.

"Did you not hear me at all? I said his mother. I'm pretty sure she isn't trying to steal me from you." Now that would've been one weird dinner.

"He's going to be there. Isn't it funny that he picks to tell you about this dinner the day he asks to be excused from basketball practice?"

I guessed Max did have a very small microscopic point but I was still going. I could've use a new friend whether it was Chris or Chris's mother.

"Trust that I'll make the right decisions." I said sweetly, grabbing his hands again.

I loved holding hands; it was like we were linking our two hearts together. Max had been okay but I was still cautious of a spontaneous eruption of anger.

*

I decided to stay during Chad's planning period again. Today was a make up day for Calculus class so I didn't have anything to do in there anyways. My perfect attendance was to blame.

"Mr. Rogers is eventually going to think I'm stealing you." Chad laughed as he sat on the plastic chair next to his computer chair that was occupied by me.

"He's a sixty year old man who hasn't even remembered my name yet. I think I'm the least of his worries." I smiled as I checked my email on his computer.

Seemed like the five new emails I had were junk mail; I was truly popular.

"While you're on the computer, find out some good desk chairs."