Chapter 22: Gifts Galore

Friday (Next Day)

Elated wasn't in the same galaxy of what I felt when I stepped out of the plane once it landed in Florida. I rather my friends than the Sunset Strip any day. Even though the vacation ended a little rocky, I loved spending time with Chad. I got to see a whole new side of him; he was sensitive and just looking for a fun time. I wasn't sure if I would match what he was looking for.

I wasn't into adventures and traveling; I just wanted to find a normal I was comfortable with. As I waited for him to grab a snack from a nearby vending machine, I grabbed his gift from its suitcase and held it behind my back. I didn't know when would be the next time I saw him so I wanted to get it over with. So what, Christmas was three days away?

"What's with the smile on your face?" he raised a brow as he walked closer to me.

"What are you talking about?" I giggled, unable to hold my excitement.

"Are you trying to prank me or something?" he asked, looking around him.

"You got me." I sighed. "There are hidden cameras there, there, and here." I pointed with my free hand until the last word, for that I pulled out his present. "Merry early-Christmas."

The expression on his face made every penny worth it. The way his eyes opened wide and how his mouth formed an 'O' and then spread out into a smile was just priceless.

"I'm guessing you like it. Now take it because my hand is getting tired."

"He grabbed the small box from my hand. "I was always thinking of buying a FuelBand. How did you know?"

"I figured a guy who wakes up just to run would want one of these doohickeys."

"I love it." He thanked, wrapping his arms around me and lifting me off the floor.

"Yeah, whatever. It's was nothing." I wasn't so into saying you're welcome because I felt like I was making myself happy for making him happy. It was a bit selfish if you thought about it.

*

I took a taxi home, ready to surprise everyone. During the car ride, I decided to take a detour to Casey's house. She was staying with her mom as she got her bachelor's degree at a local community college. She wanted to save money by getting her degree here before switching to a university. She agreed to take me to Anna's house for free anyways.

As I loaded my bags in her trunk while she was in the driver's seat, I took her gift out. I needed to give it to her before I asked her for a favor. Closing the trunk, I turned to the passenger's seat, and handed the kit to her.

"What's this?" She asked, gleaming at the pictures on the box explaining the contents.

"And art set or whatever. I thought it would be perfect for you."

"Thank you. I wished I got you something."

"Don't worry; I know were not that close. I was actually going to ask if you could do something for me."

"Anything." She nodded.

I pulled out my phone and searched through the gallery for a picture I took of Max's parents together. His father's arm was around Mrs. Flynn's shoulder as he gave her a kissed on her forehead during one of their summer cookouts in their backyard. The Flynn's were a wealthy bunch and I knew they would rather have something unique and what's more unique than a portrait?

I sent her the picture and waited for her to check the message. "I just need a hand drawn portrait of them. I don't care if it's colored or black and gray; I just want it lifelike with the authentic Casey's touch."