Chapter 18: He's My Man

Chapter 18: He’s My Man

Without excusing myself, I went into the backyard of Max’s parents’ home. I hadn’t been out there since the fourth of July when Max invited a couple of his friends over for a cookout. Now all that was left was dying brown grass, the closed gourmet grill with rusting silver skin and a plastic basketball goal Max used to play with when he was younger. Next to the dying grill, there was a small blue plaid patio set that sat under a canopy attached to the house.

I took a seat on one of the four seats, scaring all the lizards near. Taking out my phone, I dialed Carla’s number three times before she picked up.

“I had to pull over to accept your call so this better be good.” She huffed through the line.

I decided not to waste time and just get to the point. “Why did you tell Duncan that I wanted him here?”

She laughed loudly, “You are so full of yourself, aren’t you? I already told you that I invited him over for Thanksgiving because we’re dating.”

“That’s not what he told me.”

“Did he really tell you that I said you wanted him?” she seemed serious when she asked.

I nodded, forgetting I was on the phone. “Yeah.”

At first I thought she started laughing again but the more she continued on, the more I could tell she was crying. “What’s wrong Carla?”

“Nothing.” She sniffed. “If you count that I’m ugly as nothing!”

Was she kidding me? Out of all the people I knew, I would have never thought of her as the insecure one when she was the exact opposite. “Don’t make me rant on about how you’re beautiful and that you’re stupid to think otherwise.”

“Humph.” She hummed.

“What?”

“It’s just that I never really had guys call me beautiful. It was either pretty or hot but never that. Well except for Chad.”

I shuddered, upset with having to remember that they two dated even if it was brief.

“There are plenty of guys out there who’ll feel the same way; you just have to look for them.” I encouraged her, trying to get her mind off of Chad. He was mine.

“You know what? You’re right!”

“Yeah I am!”

“I should try to fix things out with Chad!”

“No!” I quickly shouted.

“Huh?” she said confused.

“Uh…” I rummaged through my mind for an argument. “Like you said, he wants another girl.”

“Oh my gosh! I am ugly.” She whimpered.

“No! Maybe you should take a break from dating and worry about finding who you are.” I suggested.

“Yeah… you’re right. So what they don’t want to be with me? I’m still hot—no, beautiful.”

“Now get here fast, the food is getting cold.” I smiled.

My smile soon disappeared when I walked into the living room where Duncan still sat.

“You can’t stop lying, can you?” I asked rhetorically, standing over him.

“Nope.” He answered anyway.

“I thought you like her.”

“I did, but when I went on a date with her Tuesday night, she was a wreck. The girl couldn’t stop whining about how she felt ugly and unattractive. Unconfident girls are such a turn off.”