Chapter 27: In Between

I was ninety percent sure that I was dead... maybe ninety eight.

Why?

Because I was in my room! Not the one in Anna's or Max's house, but in my old, own room. My stuff animals were still standing guard on my dresser and pictures of Anna, Jill, and me were hung on the wall with a few friends I'd lost in high school. My old JanSport backpack was still on the ground and my body felt good. Before I blacked out, all I felt was pain so how was that possible?

Taking a look under my covers, I saw that I was in pajamas. Not just any pajamas, my Invader Zim patterned ones, a set that I left in my room before I left.

This place was an exact replica of my room, from my Justin Timberlake posters to the purple carpet I begged my dad to give me in the fifth grade. What was this? Did I end up in Hell? Was I stuck here to remember about the good times I could never have again.

With a fast swing of my bedroom door, Jillian peeked inside. "Lilly, why don't you not make us starve and come down for breakfast?"

Breakfast? What was going on here!?

"You're not mad at me?" I asked.

"Of course I'm mad! You are making us all wait for you like you're the friggin' Queen of England, who wouldn't be mad?" She looked different; her hair was shorter and there was a more youthful look to her young face.

I was totally confused. This was the Jillian who walked away from me when I tried talking to her. Why was she being so nice now? Well, her version of nice.

"What's today's date?" I asked, wondering how long I was out of it.

"January eighth, duh. Now hurry up, I want to eat my food before 2012 is over."

"Fine, I'm coming."

Her words didn't hit me until I was brushing my teeth. Jill was leaning on the door frame, egging me to hurry up.

Two-thousand-twelve?! That was two years ago. "No, it's supposed to be 2014." I shook my head in disbelief. What was going on?

"Are you crazy?" She scoffed. "We practically screamed New Years a week ago and your hat said 2012."

Oh crap, I was dead, wasn't I? How in the world could I go back two years? Where was I? Trapped in time or some type of twisted purgatory? I wanted to go home, to my real home in the real world.

"Our microwaved pancakes are getting cold." She rolled her eyes, turning for the kitchen. I followed her, trying to seem cool when in reality I was freaking out!

My mind was unable to comprehend what the heck was going on!

"Lilly! How's my pumpkin doing?" My father greeted when I walked in. He and my mother were already seated at the breakfast table, ready to slice through their pancakes.

Pumpkin? He hasn't called me that in years. He hadn't called me much of anything these days.

I wasn't sure how to respond, "Ugh... good morning?"

"Come sit, you've left us waiting long enough." My mother motioned me to the seat between my dad and her.

She was smiling, everyone was smiling. It was eerily weird and unsettling. It was like they actually loved me, something that I was no longer used to.

I took the seat, looking down at my pancakes that were already covered with syrup. "Thanks." I mumbled, taking the fork next to my plate. Part of me wanted to stab myself with it just to check if this was real.