~69~

"So what are your plans for the rest of the day?" Karen Rayment asked her son. She'd met for coffee in Toronto since she had some errands to do there.

Shawn took a sip from his mug and then answered. "I'm going to surprise Taryn at her brewpub. She's thinks I'm getting home on Sunday, but as you know, we finished round one of the songwriting process early. She's been working at her mom's bar for half of each day, and then she goes to her place to look at the progress."

"You know a lot about her schedule considering you two don't talk much."

"Patricia hooks me up with info when I need it, but Taryn is pretty consistent about texting me photos of the construction and keeping me up to date on what's been done."

Karen smiled. "It's good that you two aren't completely drifting apart. Are you feeling more positive about your relationship?"

"Truthfully? No. I know I love her and that I want to spend the rest of my life with her, and when the time is right, I'm going to tell her that. In the meantime, all I can do is hope that she isn't slowly falling out of love with me."

"That doesn't seem likely."

He looked down at his hands. "I didn't think it was possible with Winter and look what happened."

"If you and Taryn are meant to be, it will all work out," his mom said confidently.

After he left the coffee shop, Shawn went to his condo and unpacked the luggage he'd left on the floor the night before. Once that task was complete, he went on his computer and answered a bunch of emails related to his career. The surprising success of his single had his label pushing him to get the album finished months ahead of schedule. They were also trying to talk him into doing a limited festival run this summer, which he was not particularly happy about. He wasn't contractually obligated to do any live shows, so at least they couldn't force him.

His bed looked inviting, so he stripped down to his boxers and climbed under the covers. When he woke up, he couldn't believe that several hours had passed. He shaved, took a shower, brushed his teeth, sprayed some cologne on his chest, and changed into a pair of jeans and taupe cotton sweater. The Distillery District was walkable from his condo, but it was drizzling outside, so he decided to drive over. He arrived within ten minutes and parked next to Taryn's dad's truck in the adjacent lot. She could afford something much nicer, but she seemed attached to the old Chevy.

Shawn took a few minutes to go over how he was going to greet her. He wasn't sure if he should just casually stroll in, or if he should yell "surprise!" Shit. He shouldn't show up empty-handed, but if he took the time to go get a bottle of champagne or flowers, she might be gone when he returned. The contractors were exiting the building as he sat there, and she wouldn't be far behind. He took a deep cleansing breath and got out of the car, heading towards the side door that everyone had been using.

When he entered the warehouse, he was blown away by how much was already done. The main floor was starting to look like an actually brewery with ten foot tall copper kettles and stacks of bottles and kegs. He peeked into the kitchen and noticed that the appliances had been delivered but weren't installed. The front of this floor wasn't as industrial as the back and had a nice lobby area near the elevator and stairs. He ascended the staircase and immediately saw Taryn standing at the enormous bar that ran down the middle of the room. Her back was to him, so he took a second to admire how beautiful she was. Her hair was up in a loose bun, and she wore one of his favorite pale blue shirts with a pair of black jeans. She was the only one on this floor, since while he'd looked around below, the rest of the workers had left.

"Hi," he said softly so that he wouldn't startle her.

Taryn spun around and a smile brightened her pretty face. "Shawn! You're home!"