Awkward goodbyes

Adam froze. Every part of his mind was screaming at him to pull away, but he froze. He was taken by surprise and his mind went into panick mode. Faith was kissing him. Adam had kissed many girls before. Usually pretending to date them into gaslighting them to do stuff like, become a demon. This was different. They had been friends when they were little and above that, she was James's sister. Faith ended up pulling away. She looked at Adam, her face red. Adam was still shocked, but finally he started to register what just happened.
'Why the fuck did you do that!' He screamed.
'I... I like you. As in, like, like you.' Faith whispered.
'I... I... I'm sorry but... I don't... I don't feel the same. I'm really sorry, Faith, but... I... I just don't... I'm sorry.' Adam stuttered. He crawled back to his feet and ran. He jumped back through the window and ran down from the attic.
'Adam! Wait!' He heard behind him, but he didn't stop running. He had never had to deal with anything like this. He didn't wanna hurt her feelings. She was his best friends sister. But he didn't feel the same way.
"Hide! I need to hide! Where can I hide!" Adam thought as he ran into the living room. He ran into the kitchen and stopped. He could hear Faith running down the stairs.
"You're a fucking demon! Make use of that!" He screamed to himself in his mind as he turned himself invisible. It was one of his favorite demon powers. Being invisible meant you could fly wherever you want, without being scared of being seen. But for hiding it was also very useful, as proven by his current situation.
Faith ran into the kitchen and stopped. For a second she looked straight at Adam, who was holding his breath. Then she opened the back door and ran into the backyard to continue her search. Adam quickly ran the opposite way, back upstairs.
"This is probably a good time to go to bed." He thought as he snuck into the bedroom he shared with James while he was staying.

'You coming for breakfast?' James asked as he was about to leave his bedroom.
'Uh, no. I'm not hungry. I.. I'll just stay here and... tune my guitar.' Adam muttered as he grabbed his guitar, hoping the blonde wouldn't realize it was perfectly tuned already.
'Okay.' James replied a little suspicious. He left the dark haired boy behind in his room, but on his way downstairs he heard a sound coming from Faith's room. He walked up to the open door and looked inside. Faith was sitting on her bed, crying, and Arianna was holding her and trying to comfort her.
'What's wrong?' James asked worried.
'YOU! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU SAY TO HIM!' Faith yelled. She pushed Arianna away, grabbed her pillow, ran up to her twin brother and started beating him with the pillow.
'Aw! Stop! What the hell are you talking about!' James said as he tried to use his arms to shield his face from his sisters fury.
Arianna ran up to them and took the pillow from Faith to make her stop her attack on their brother.
'Faith confessed her feelings to Adam yesterday and he didn't receive them very well.' Arianna explained.
'HE DIDN'T RECEIVE THEM AT ALL! WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM, JAMES! I KNOW YOU WERE MAD AT ME ABOUT IT!' Faith yelled.
'I didn't tell him anything! I swear!' James replied.
'It's okay, Faith. James had no part in this. It just wasn't meant to be.' Arianna said as she wrapped her arms back around her sister. Faith rolled up into a little ball and started crying even more.
'It's not fair!' She cried.
'Life isn't fair. But one day someone else will come along, that'll like you back. Just not Adam.' Arianna replied.
James didn't really know how to feel. He didn't like to see his sister this heartbroken, but his own heart wanted to do a little victory dance. He was relieved that Adam didn't like her back. That was one less thing to worry about. He wasn't going to lose him to her. He walked over to his twin sister and softly patted her on the back.
'I'm really sorry you're hurting like this.' He muttered.

Later that day, James walked back into his room.
'So... you turned Faith away.' The blonde said, sounding casual. Adam sighed.
'I didn't break her heart to much, did I?' He asked a little unsure.
'She's been crying the entire morning.' James replied as he sat down on his bed. Adam sighed again.
'I didn't mean to hurt her, I just didn't know what to do. I don't feel the same way, but I... how do you even bring such a thing carefully? I'm sorry, James. I really didn't mean to hurt her. I just don't like her that way. She's more like a sister to me.' Adam said.
'It's not your fault.' James replied.
'Maybe... maybe I shouldn't stay for the rest of the break. Things will just be like, really awkward. Maybe I should go back to our dorm.' Adam muttered.
'Yeah, maybe that's best. I'll come with you. You start packing, I'll go tell my mom.' James agreed.

James and Adam were putting their stuff in the back of the car. It was no surprise that this time, Faith wasn't joining for the ride.
'I'm gonna miss you two. Now I'm stuck in a house filled with girls again. Don't leave me here alone too long this time.' Luke joked.
'You're always welcome to visit us at our dorm.' James replied.
'I'm really sorry we have to leave early.' Adam said a little embarrassed to Mrs. Rallison.
'That's okay, sweetie. It's not your fault. Give it some time and she'll get over it.' James's mom replied.
'Adam! Wait!' A voice called from behind them. It was Faith. The atmosphere immediately got tense.
'Can I talk to you for a second before you leave?' Faith asked slightly blushing.
'S-sure.' Adam muttered nervously. He followed Faith into the empty livingroom and sat down on the couch.
'I'm really sorry, Faith, I...' Adam began, but Faith cut him off.
'It's okay. I understand. I wanted to tell you to not feel guilty like that. I rather have it this way than force you into something you don't want. That's what I wanted to say before you leave. That you shouldn't feel bad and that I'll be okay. Also... take good care of James.' Faith said.
Adam nodded, not really sure how to respond.
'You mean a lot to James. That's why I'm telling you to take good care of him. He's my brother and I want him to be happy.' Faith explained.
'Don't worry. I'd never do anything that might hurt him and I'd always protect him if needed.' Adam replied. Faith gave him a look that Adam didn't really get, but then she got up.
'You should go. Mom and James are waiting for you.' She said before going up the stairs to go to her room.