The hunt

Jacob walked over to the front door and opened it. He was tired and had had a long day, but he tried to put up a smile for the young girl at his doorstep.
'What can I do for ya?' He asked.
'My name is Mona, sir. I just wanted to say, I accidentally hit your car. There's not much damage, but I promise I'll pay for repairs.' The girl said.
Jacob sighed. As if his day wasn't enough trouble already.
'Let me see how bad it is...' He grumbled as he walked over to the driveway. He'd only just left his house when he heard the front door shut. He turned around, realizing he didn't have a key. When he looked towards his door though, he saw a boy that seemed about the same age as this Mona girl. He was the one that had pulled the door shut. He had dark hair, glasses, wore a red hoodie and was glaring daggers at him.
'I know you! You're the one I shot in the forest today! You're a demon. Run little girl? He's a demon!' Jacob yelled before turning around. Mona was staring at him, in her human form, but with her demon eyes. Jacob let out a little scream and backed away from her.
'Please don't hurt me!' He begged.
'Maybe you should've thought of that before you shot him.' Mona said, her voice ice cold.
'We don't really appreciate demon hunters, you know. And I think it's time for you to find out what we do with them.' The boy said pulling out a knife. Jacob almost expected an evil grin to form on the demons face, but instead the boy looked calm, yet furious. Jacob didn't have much time to think about it though, since he started to get very well aware of the fact that these were the last couple seconds of his life.

'Finally, you're home! I was starting to get worried. It's late.' James sighed in relief when Adam entered their dorm.
'Didn't mean to make you worry, marshmallow. I was working late.' Adam replied, sounding tired.
'Can't Satan give you normal hours for working?' James asked.
'Unfortunately he doesn't really care... demons gotta be flexible. Some stuff just can't wait.' Adam replied as he fell down on the couch next to James.
'Shouldn't have expected anything else from Satan.' The blonde muttered.
'What do you mean?' Adam asked.
'Well, he's the devil. You can't expect evil people to be nice to their followers.' James replied. He looked over at Adam and immediately knew he'd said something wrong. The demon was glaring at him, not really angry, but with an expression the blonde didn't fully understand.
'What's wrong?' James asked eventually after a bit of silence. Adam sighed.
'You gotta stop seeing everything that has to do with Hell as evil. That's the problem with you humans. Always thinking hell is bad, Lucifer and demons are evil, angels are the saviours and God is the hero. It's the stupid stories you keep telling each other. You said you couldn't believe that I was evil. If I'm not evil, than why would everyone else be evil?'
'I'm sorry, I hadn't thought of it like that. So... what is he like? Satan?'
'Oh, he's an asshole! But that doesn't make him evil. It's all about balance, you know. Where there's light, there's always shadow, but shadow can only exist, if there's light. If Satan was the boss, things wouldn't be good, but if God was the only ruler, things wouldn't be much better. They cancel each other out. If hell didn't exist, all the bad guys would go to heaven and believe me, that would be chaos.' Adam explained.
'So they work together?' James asked surprised.
'Yes and no. They both wanna defeat each other, but because neither of them has been able to beat the other, they keep balance. Why do you think he wants us to hunt down angels?'
'So, do angels hunt demons too?'
'Nah, they usually try to avoid us.'
'But if angels don't do anything about demons, then how is there still balance?'
'For starters, angels do a lot more recruiting. All the time we spend hunting them, they spend looking for new members. And humans are much more willing to become and angel than a demon. On top of that, there are demon hunters among humans. Being honest, they don't do too much, since they usually don't get more than one kill before another demon shows up to deal with them. But yeah, recently the demon population has outgrown the angel population. I don't like to say it, but Satan's winning this battle.'
'Wait, the devil is gonna take over the earth?'
'Don't worry, marshmallow. This battle started at the beginning of time itself and only now we start to outnumber them. It'll take thousands of years before the difference is big enough to actually change anything. But God isn't an idiot. He knows what's happening so he's gonna think of a way to change his system so he won't be losing. Being honest, I don't think either of them is ever gonna win. Which is good. That way the balance remains.'
James nodded, following every word the demon said. Good and bad balance each other out. Maybe the world wasn't all that black and white. Maybe it's more grayish.
'I'm gonna have to go to bed now, marshmallow. I gotta get up early tomorrow.' Adam said as he got up from the couch and pecked the blonde's lips.
'Why do you need to get up early? It's Sunday tomorrow?' James asked.
'I got a pretty big job at work. I might be gone for a couple days, but I'll try to get it done as quickly as possible so I can come back to you soon.' Adam explained.
'Gone for a couple days?... I'll miss you...' James muttered.
'I'll miss you too, but I'll be back soon.' Adam said, wrapping his arms around the blonde's waist and pulling him closer.
'Can I at least get a goodbye kiss from my marshmallow?' He asked.
James smiled and pressed his lips against the Adam's, pulling him into a passionate kiss.

'That's actually really interesting. But it makes sense. Heaven and Hell balance each other out.' Maaz said. Adam had been gone for about two days now and Rush and Maaz had decided to take James to the arcade to cheer him up. Laddi and Jaiden couldn't come because they had some girl stuff planned. While on their way to the arcade, James told them what Adam had said about the balance between God and Satan.
'I mean, ofcourse it makes sense. I thought we already agreed that Adam isn't a bad person. So other demons aren't necessarily evil too.' Rush said.
'Speaking of the devil...' Maaz said as he stopped and pointed at the opposite side of the street. Adam was standing next to an alleyway. He had his hood pulled over his head, hiding his face, yet the three boys had no problem recognizing their friend. Adam didn't see them since he was scrolling through his phone, but his eyes seemed to be glancing at something to his left rather than his screen. When they followed his look they saw that Mona was walking down the streets towards him, but seemingly tried to stay behind a man she was following.
'I thought he had to work?' Rush wondered out loud.
'That's what he said...' James muttered.
When the man in front of Mona reached the alleyway, Adam suddenly jolted up, grabbing the man and together with Mona, he dragged him into the alleyway. The movement was so quick and smooth, no one else on the street had seen it happen, except James, Maaz and Rush.
'Should we... should we just ignore that?' Maaz asked nervously.
'No, I'm curious what's gonna happen.' Rush replied.
The three boys crossed the street and ran into the alleyway. It seemed to be a maze of alleyways, but they soon found the one where Adam had gone to. They ducked behind a dumpster and looked over it.
'What do you two want from me?' The man asked panicky as he sat down on the ground, trapped between a wall and the two demons.
'Nothing much, we just want some information.' Mona said nonchalantly.
'We wanna know where your brother is. We know he's hiding.' Adam said, his voice sounding colder than any of his friends had ever heard.
'I'm not telling you! I don't trust you two at all!' The man cried out.
'Oh, come on, work with us here, okay? Just tell us where we can find him and we'll let you go. Are you really gonna risk getting yourself hurt?' Adam asked.
'He would do the same for me!' The man replied.
'Oh, yeah? Then where is he now? Clearly not trying to protect his baby brother, even though he's very well aware of the fact that we're gonna go after you to try and find him!' Mona started. She opened her mouth to speak again, but was cut off by Adam abruptly raising his hand to silence her. For a moment no one spoke.
'Don't let him escape...' Adam mumbled to Mona before turning around, staring at the alleyway. James, Maaz and Rush were holding their breath, hoping Adam wouldn't see or hear them.
'What is it?' Mona asked.
'Can't you feel it? Demon instincts! Someone is there, listening and watching!' Adam said. He took a couple steps towards the dumpster, which was enough for Maaz to panick. He ran off, not even trying to be quiet and James and Rush immediately followed his example. Adam ran after them, obviously being faster. He quickly caught up to them and tackled them to the ground with seemingly no effort.
'What? What are you guys doing here?' Adam asked when he recognized the boys he'd attacked.
'W-we saw you drag that guy down the alley.' Rush mumbled, still looking a little startled.
'Oh, that. Don't worry about that.' Adam said as he helped his friends get up from the ground.
'What are you gonna do with him?' Maaz asked.
'Try to convince him to give us information.' Adam shrugged.
'Why do you need his brother?' James asked.
'His brother is the guy that shot me in the forest. He's a demon hunter and a danger for Mona, me and other demons that might potentially come to this city in the future.' Adam lied.
'What are you gonna do when you find him?' Rush asked.
'Give him the whole explanation of the balance between God and Satan and show him demons aren't necessarily evil and all that stuff. Listen, you guys shouldn't be here. Hanging out with a demon isn't necessarily a risk, but hanging out with one when he's at work is. You guys go home. If that guy talks, I might be back by tomorrow. If not, it might take a couple more days.' Adam explained.
Eventually his friends all left. They mumbled something about going to an arcade. As Adam walked back towards Mona, he couldn't help but feel bad. That lie had come so easily. He hadn't when though twice before lying. He'd taken care of that hunter the same day he got shot. A wound that, thanks to his demon abilities, was already healed. But he couldn't just tell them they were hunting a guy because some dude made a deal with them. As a demon, he had to take any deal a human wanted to make, as long as their price was high enough. He hadn't really had a choise. But he rather didn't tell his friends he was gonna torture and murder the guy.
'Who was it?' Mona asked. She was wiping the blood from a knife and the man's dead body was laying near her feet.
'My friends... I came up with a good excuse though, so we're fine, but next time we need to be more careful when we drag people into alleyways.' Adam said. He sighed as he looked over to the direction he came from. He hoped so much that he wouldn't screw this up.