lvii. towing the line

FIFTY SEVEN. towing the line

     SILENCE was something that usually accompanied a group while traveling

SILENCE was something that usually accompanied a group while traveling. And, it almost definitely followed after a set of tragic events. The death of Joe and his group wasn't tragic per say, it was what happened in between. When Theo closed her eyes, the memories of the previous night flashed within her mind - the crimson that stained her hands not helping with the repetitive hauntings.

They had already packed up and left the abandoned car on the side of the road where it belonged, continuing on their journey to the esteemed sanctuary named Terminus. They traveled on the railroad tracks, dried leaves covering the spaces in between the space. Theo trailed behind in the back, her thoughts preoccupying the ability to speak to anyone - even Carl who walked alongside her.

A fallen sign caught Rick and Michonne's eyes as they led the small group, Daryl lingering awkwardly between the group as they came to a stop. "We're getting close," The redneck spoke, his voice crawling from the depths of his throat - emitting a low and raspy sound. "Be there before sundown." He added, eyes looking back at Theo who nodded her head in silent confirmation.

Rick curled his hand around the strap of a bag tossed over his shoulder, "Now we head through the woods." he said, motioning towards the forest surrounding the railroad tracks they walked within. "We don't know who they are." He added, their recent encounter with the claimers causing their guard to rise to an all time high.

"Alright." Daryl agreed, stepping over the tracks and down the small hill that led them into the forest. Theo trailed after him, her arms crossed over her chest as she gave Michonne a tight lipped smile when passing her. The air was chilly, and the missing presence of her shirt would have caused her to freeze if it hadn't been for the long sleeved one that Carl gave her within his duffle bag.

The group of five silently trekked through the woods until they reached a chain link fence - giving them a birds eye view of Terminus. Theo curled her bloodstained fingers against the chains, attentive eyes scaling the multiple brick buildings. It was where all the tracks met, making a home inside of an abandoned railroad yard. "It's quiet." She stated, squinting her eyes to see clearer.

"She's right." Rick agreed, standing next to her as they looked around the community in search of people. The bold letters of TERMINUS was painted across several windows, the five survivors on the other side of the hidden fence peering into their defenses. "We all spread out, watch for a while, see what we see and get ready."

"We all stay close." The leader instructed lastly, Theo uncurling her fingers from around the chain link fence and moving away from it. Daryl turned to her, his hands tightening around the handle of his crossbow - "You comin' with me?" He asked, the idea of telling the girl he was worried about her running for the hills.

"Sure." Theo agreed, sticking alongside the silent man as they weaved through the tall trees of the forest. The girl expected a conversation to pop up between the two of them, but nothing ever did. Daryl searched his mind for something to say - not knowing how to express the heavy concerns he felt for the eleven year old. Instead, the forest was filled with an awkward silence as they walked.