ii. days gone bye

CHAPTER TWO ━━━ DAYS GONE BYE, Season One   :   Episode One of The Walking Dead

Season One : Episode One of The Walking Dead

The mirror reflected her appearance, beads of sweat decorating her tanned skin like paint on a canvas. Blood of her brother stained her skin, cool water from the bathroom sink running over her hands and rushing the red substance down the drain. Meeting her own face, she noticed the lack of sleep that etched her skin. Bags rested underneath her eyes, a prudent red rimming the waterline. Freckles danced against her cheeks like stars in the night sky, brown strands of hair framing her jaw as she twisted the knobs on the sink and ceased the waters movement. Adeline reached for a hand towel that hung high beside the mirror, drying her skin off in a few quick oats before unlocking the door and slipping out of the tiled room.

Entering the dimmed kitchen, the girl noticed the shadows that stood proudly against the walls. Morgan sat at the table, his son close beside him with a bowl in his hands. The soft creak of the bathroom door caused him to glance up, meeting her eyes. "He's up." He informed in a curt manner, his stare shifting to the bedroom next to her. Nodding at his words, she twisted on her heels and reluctantly entered the room. She knew her brother, and she was sure that instead of being greeted with the warm welcome like it would have been if the world didn't fall apart, she would instead be greeted with a swarm of questions. And she understood why.

Once Adeline stepped into the bedroom, her eyes landed upon the curled up figure of Rick Grimes. He faced the other direction, his stare locked in with the boarded window which undoubtedly caused confusion to sprout throughout his mind. Lifting her hand, she curled her fingers into a fist and lightly knocked against the wood of the doorframe. "Miss me?" Her voice slipped out of her mouth, a small smile lacing her features as Rick turned his body and landed upon his sisters frame.

Immediately his eyes grew wide, a futile attempt of springing out of the bed causing him to wince in pain and fall back down into the pillows. Adeline stopped him from trying again, rushing to his side and wrapping him into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry that I wasn't there," She admitted with a guilty conscience. Adeline felt horrible, horrible for putting her brother in the place he found himself to be. He woke up in the midst of an apocalypse, and she wasn't there to help him through it. He had to see the dead bodies littering the hospitals courtyard, the ones in the hallways that she tried to clean up but every time she did - thick lines of fear wrapped her in its sinister grasp.

With a weak hold, his arms wrapped around her. "He killed that man. On the street, he killed him. I-I don't get what's happening, Addie." Ricks voice trembled against the fabric of her shirt, the warmth of her hold disappearing as she pulled away and looked at her brother. "Where's Lori and Carl? Shane?" He questioned, reminding her of his family and her husband. "They weren't there. I went to the house and I looked but-"

"Hey, just relax. Otherwise we're not getting anywhere, alright?" She cut him off, her voice soft and caring like it always was. Although she was the younger sibling, Adeline had always been the protective one. "Now you know how horrible I am at explaining things, so just... come on. I'll let Morgan." She instructed, standing up from the bed and grabbing the thin cover that coated it.