lxvi. the walking dead

SIXTY SIX. the walking dead

Adeline stood near to Rick, her body feeling like jelly as she settled her eyes on the paper that he held in his grasp

Adeline stood near to Rick, her body feeling like jelly as she settled her eyes on the paper that he held in his grasp. The words of from a friend was written across the page in marker, a thousand thoughts rushing through the doctors mind at the sight. Someone was watching them, which meant somebody knew where they were. She didn't quite know how to process the information, a blur of intoxication from the alcohol she had drank preventing her.

Regret for taking Abraham up on his offer welcomed her in its uncomfortable grasp, an uneasy feeling of chills rushing down her spine at the cool wind that brushed around her body. Adeline folded her arms over her chest, a sigh falling from her lips as she looked to her brother- "What do we do?" She questioned, breaking the tense silence they found themselves consumed by. The thought of finding another group brought a rush of fear and panic to their figures.

And she couldn't stop thinking about who they were standing around with. Carl. Theo. Judith. Family.

Before Rick could answer her anticipated inquiry, the rustle of leaves behind them caused each of their heads to turn. Their hands instinctively fell to their weapons, watching with careful eyes as the figure of Daryl Dixon stepped out onto the highway- relief hastily greeting a worried Adeline. Guards were lowered, but not erased completely due to the situation they remained in as the archers attentive stare moved to the several water bottles and jugs around them.

With a quick step forward, Adeline watched as her brother handed the note to Daryl. He took it in his grasp, moving his eyes to the widow before reluctantly turning to the folded paper. Upon processing the words, he hastily handed the sheet back to Rick before sliding the strap of his crossbow over his head and right into his hold. His eyes scanned the forest around the road, searching for any kind of sign as the doctor decided to break the silence once again.

"I'll ask again... What do we do here?" Adeline spoke, keeping her voice out of harms way as she shifted on her feet. The groups attention focused on the woman, remaining silent until Rick crumbled the paper in his grasp and began to speak. "Not this. We don't know who left it." He stated.

An unplanned huff of aggravation slipped past the widows lips, her eyes rolling slightly with the sound as her brother turned to look at her with furrowed brows of confusion. "Of course we don't know who left it. What are we going to do about it?" Adeline repeated, her voice sharp and full of irritation- immediate regret of her distant sober mind seeping in. That and the infection certainly didn't help.

Daryl glanced over at the sound of her snappy tone, his eyebrows furrowing. They were threaded by the strings of concern and worry, mind racing with an overwhelming amount of new thoughts. Months had passed since he heard Adeline talk to Rick like that, and that was because he had killed the love of her life. Quickly, suspicions of something being wrong were confirmed for him in the blink of an eye.