xiii. the things we hide

TWELVE. the things we hide

Instead of it being Adelines' voice to ask the question, it was her brothers

Instead of it being Adelines' voice to ask the question, it was her brothers. The man had overheard the conversation as well, taking initiative before his sister could. At this, the girl looked to both Shane and Lori for an answer - her husband avoiding her sharp eyes while the other shifted on her feet. "Just talking about my need for a plan, Rick." He was quick to change the subject, slamming frustration right into the faces of the Grimes siblings. "So what is it? Are we leaving or not? Maybe y'all just wanna stay here. We could hang some more tin cans." The topic had been completely changed, leaving the situation to be talked about for another time. It was Shanes go to in an argument, it always had been. Adeline knew him better than anyone, and if he wanted the attention to be off of him - he would slither his way around confrontation.

"They'll only gain more of an advantage on us if we stay here. We have to leave, and you two need to get your shit together long enough to decide if we live or die." Adeline snapped, the situation she found herself in only adding fuel to the growing fire of anger in her stomach. Deciding she couldn't take enough of the twos constant arguing, she brushed past the both of them and approached the sweaty figure of Daryl Dixon.

The man sat atop a wooden log, sharpening his rather large hunting knife. Before she could even speak, he tilted his head and met eyes with Adeline Grimes. "What?" He questioned in a curt tone, watching with a careful face as she flopped down in the chair next to him. "You deaf? I said-" Daryl spoke up once more, his voice becoming interjected with her own.

"I know what you said," Adeline assured, crossing her arms over her chest and stretching her legs out in front of her. "I haven't had time to thank you. You saved my life last night and-"

"Don't." Daryl cut her off, his voice as worn out as a pair of old leather boots. "Doin' just fine without you thankin' me." He assured, looking back down to his knife and sliding the sharp metal against a smooth stone.

The ghost of a chuckle left her lips, a small smile lacing the features of her face. The sound causing his head to lift once again, eyes examining the blood splatters and dirt marks on her pale skin. Daryl looked away as Shane Walsh and Rick Grimes walked up to the group, his attentive eyes taking notice of the way Adeline dropped her smile and avoided her husbands' stare.

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan," The man started, sitting his shotgun down next to his wife. Adeline reluctantly put her eyes on Shane, watching as he talked. "Now look, there are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man for a long time. I trust his instincts and I say that the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning." He informed, putting his dignity in his back pocket and agreeing with the brother of his wife.

Sooner than later, sunset blended into sunrise. Mixed hues of orange mixed with the light blue of the sky, creating a beautiful canvas of art right above the camp. But the lack of sleep Adeline had received took the peace that came along with the sight away from her. She herself had avoided confrontation, not wanting to sleep in the tent so instead she covered Glenn and T-Dog's shifts. Throughout the night, the only thing she could focus on was the light of the moon reflecting off of the quarry and the sounds of insects before people started to wake up - and it pressed a reset button on her thoughts, refreshing her mind of what happened of what had been lost.