lxi. the city of wonder

SIXTY ONE. the city of wonder

"AT SUNDOWN WE FIRE A SHOT INTO the air

"AT SUNDOWN WE FIRE A SHOT INTO the air. Get two of them out on patrol. Then, once it's dark enough that the rooftop spotter won't see us, we go." Rick's voice echoed through the empty space of the building they stood in, his body crouched down next to a makeshift map that was drawn by the two boys Daryl had found. When he returned the night before, he also informed them of the news that Beth was alive. And the very group that took her did the same exact thing to Carol.

They found themselves in the remnants of Atlanta, which gave the Grimes siblings a feeling of deja vu upon their return. Every so often, Adeline would find her mind drifting back to the thought of how they once walked the walker infested streets covered in blood and organs. It made her think of Glenn, who she hoped was alright and on his way to Washington without issue. Those thoughts caused her to be reminded of the ones they left at the church in order to save Beth ━━ Theo, Carl, Judith, Michonne, and the defenseless priest. They were okay. They had to be.

"We cut the locks on one of the stairways, take it to the fifth floor. I open the door, Daryl and Adeline takes out the two guards." Rick informed, snapping his sister out of the trance she was in as he glanced up at her figure which stood with her arms crossed, eyes looking down to him, a nod of silent confirmation coming from her as she shifted in her position.

Tyresse looked between the siblings, "How?"

"They slit their throats." Rick answered as if it was common sense, "This is all about us doing this quiet, keeping the upper hand. They're not expecting us. From there, we fan out. Knives and silenced weapons. We need to be fast." He continued, turning down to the map with a piece of white chalk held in his grasp.

He marked two X's, "Tyresse and Sasha, take them. Adeline, you take care of whoever's in the kitchen with Daryl. I got Dawn."

"If they're smart, the rest of them will give up. Then it'll be seven on three." Rick added, his words causing a shared look to concur between a reluctant Tyresse and Daryl. Adeline shook her head, "Eight on three once we give Beth a weapon." She corrected, eyes glancing to her brother who nodded in confirmation.

Wesley Miller, the older brother to Noah (the two of them had previously worked (forced to) with the groups newfound enemy, which allowed them to have so much information on the things they needed to know in order to survive) looked at the woman who stood next to Daryl ━━ "Fourteen on three. Wards will help." He informed, Adeline moving her attention to the younger boy.

"That's best case." Tyresse spoke, "What's the worst?" He inquired, shaking his head in dismay at the plan. "All it takes is one of those cops going down the hall at the wrong time. Then it's not quiet. All hands on deck. We're talking about a lot of bullets flying around." He speculated, his eyes trained on the group.