xiii. a way out

THIRTEEN. a way out

 a way out

Relief. That was the first emotion to flow through the veins of Adeline Grimes, a hand placed on her lower back to usher her inside of the building. "Daryl, watch the back." Shane ordered, glancing behind him to make sure his wife stood in close distance of himself. Finding her tucked between Glenn and T-Dog, he ceased his worries and continued surveilling the barren building that carried a heavy echo with the words spoken. But, the thing that made them cease in their footsteps was the loud noise of a shotgun cocking, the sound bouncing off of the concrete walls and slapping the survivors in the face.

Adeline was quick to find the source, hand retreating to the hilt of her gun as her eyes landed upon a man who stood across the room. His blonde hair stuck up in multiple directions, a white shirt and jeans covering his body. He held a shotgun in his hands, pointing it directly at the group. Out of the habit to protect, Adeline curled her fingers around Lori Grimes' arm to pull the woman behind her along with Carl. "Anybody infected?" The, what she guessed was a scientist, called out to them - his voice clear as the water in the quarry.

"One of our group was, he didn't make it," Rick announced, fingers hovering over the trigger of his rifle. Adeline stayed on guard, slowly unholstering her pistol but keeping it at her side, staying cautious until things got out of hand. The scientist took a step forward, "Why are you here? What do you want?" he questioned.

The Grimes sister took a step forward, "To be safe." she spoke up, taking any and all precautions to keep the group inside the protective walls. Shane looked back to her as she talked, keeping his eyes trained on her body to make sure she stayed out of range from the man.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." He responded, taking another step closer to the group. Rick tilted his neck, glancing to the side - "We know." her brother spoke the words for her, the two of them working as a team. The scientist cast a long look over the group, taking in every single person who stood before him. He noticed the two children hugged tightly against who he guessed was their mothers, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." He dealt his card, keeping his fingers curled around the barely used weapon.

Reluctantly, Rick took in the deal and nodded in agreement. "We can do that." He accepted, lowering his rifle as the man copied his actions and did the same. Adeline slid her pistol back into her holster, letting her guard down only slightly. "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed." His voice bounced off of the walls, allowing the group to slip out of the building and collect their bags before rushing in again. Shane had told Adeline to stay inside due to her ankle, not wanting to risk her getting hurt by the few walkers that loomed outside with hungry stomachs.

Once he had returned to her, the doors slammed shut behind them. They all had their bags, but due to it being the CDC, Adeline told Shane to keep her duffle bag full of medical supplies in his Jeep. She only carried a backpack with her clothes and essentials, sliding her arms through the straps as her husband rested her hand against her lower back and led her to where the group circled in by an elevator. After the scientist, who they now knew as Dr. Jenner, shut down the power and sealed the top half of the building shut, they all crammed into the rather small elevator. Backs were pressed against the metal walls, handles digging into spines. But things were a bit different for Adeline Grimes, her back squeezed against Shane, his arms wrapped around her shoulders and hands connecting on her chest. Holding his infamous shotguns in her grip, she avoided the awkward tension by looking down to the ground.